Picnic vs. Butt

wow... only at whole foods...

picnic is - I think - the cheapest cut on the whole pig. At least cheaper than anything else that is readily available. Anywhere from $1 to $1.50/lb at the most expensive.

Butts, on the otherhand, are harder to find in our part of the country at a reasonable price - at least consistently. The cheapest I ever found was costco, for boneless butts, at $1.50/lb.

I was at the BJ'S in Downingtown last Sat while at Wegmans and they had 2 Butts in a Cryovac pack for $1.39 lb. If your a member of BJ'S or know somebody who is it's a great place to buy your meat there. Spares are $1.99 lb 2 racks in cryovac and Baby Backs are $3.69 lb 3 racks in cryovac. The only thing i do not buy there on a regular basis is their Brisket Flats for $2.99 lb. I go to Super WalMart and get full packers for $1.28 lb most of the time. I did just pick up a flat at BJ'S it's 7.63 lbs and a beauty. Also BJ'S does not sell enhanced meat so that's a bonus also. HTH
icon_smile.gif

--Bryan S
I’m about 15 minutes from Wegmans.. Great store
icon_smile.gif
But when I asked for Shoulder or Butt they looked at me like I had 2 heads.. I Haven’t cheeked BJ’s or Wegmans in over 6 months. BJ’s only had Baby backs and brisket last time I was there. Maybe Ill renew now …Thanks for the update

Originally posted by Joe. P:
--Bryan S
I’m about 15 minutes from Wegmans.. Great store
icon_smile.gif
But when I asked for Shoulder or Butt they looked at me like I had 2 heads.. I Haven’t cheeked BJ’s or Wegmans in over 6 months. BJ’s only had Baby backs and brisket last time I was there. Maybe Ill renew now …Thanks for the update
If you don't see it at BJ'S just ask the butcher for it. There's alot of times here at the Lanc one they don't have butts or chuck rolls out and i ask him and he brings cases of them out for me to go through. I buy all my meat at BJ'S except full packers. I will get a flat once in awhile but usually go to Super Wal Mart for the packers. I never buy butts, or ribs at the grocery store or from Wal Wart because most of them are enhanced. Wegmans is a great store. so is Trader Joe's right down the road a bit. Tri-Tips and Usinger's Brats there.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan, which Wall Mart are you going to? I go to the one over near East towne mall, on lincoln highway. I don't see whole packers there. You go to the one in York?

Originally posted by Bob T.:
Bryan, which Wall Mart are you going to? I go to the one over near East towne mall, on lincoln highway. I don't see whole packers there. You go to the one in York?
Yeah i go to York since i'm in Centerville. It's about a 16 mile drive. That Lanc one we don't like and they never have them. I know some people say they have bought them there but i've never seen them. Only been to that store twice though.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Claude:
I'm seeing the same thing here in northern bergen county NJ. No butts only the picnic. I hit 4 shop rites a pathmark some other A&P type of place in Dumont and in the last place I went to a food Basics, I was faced with no pork or picnic question. I found an 11.86lb picnic at .89/lbs. This is going to be my first go at the WSM this weekend. Should be fun!

I live in central NJ and it's very rare to find pork butts in a supermarket. They all seem to just carry the picnics. On the other hand, virtually all of the BJs and Sam's Clubs and many of the Costcos do carry the butts.

Back