Picking a Butt

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I prefer a butt that has a rectangle shape and tie it up to keep that shape. I also look at it from both sides to see the amount of fat. My local grocery store had a sale on butts at $1.29/lb. and I went through 20 butts before I found one I liked. I wanted 2, but the other butts didn't look worth the low price. The other butts had really odd shapes and most had a lot of fat. I got in the check out line before I discovered my butt was a presale butt at $2.49/lb. and was not marked down. The folks in the meat department were happy to mark it down.
I never realized they sold lower quality butts until today.

I assume you are talking about the butts at Harris Teeter? I was planning on picking several up tomorrow but based on what you are saying, the quality may not be very good. Not the news I wanted to hear...

Originally posted by Jason Nelms:
I assume you are talking about the butts at Harris Teeter? I was planning on picking several up tomorrow but based on what you are saying, the quality may not be very good. Not the news I wanted to hear...
You are correct, but it is worth a shot. There may be presale butts still available. I'll be checking again.

I went by my local Harris Teeter today and I was shocked at the poor quality (and quantity) available. They only had about 10 available and all were around or less than 6lbs. The meat manager did say he expected another shipment in...I only hope the next ones look better.

I know what ya mean,thats where I got my strange lookin and cooking butt from. Lot of ya'll from Charlotte I see.

I've got nothing to contribute to this discussion, other than to say, I love the title of this thread.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
I've got nothing to contribute to this discussion, other than to say, I love the title of this thread.
icon_biggrin.gif

I gotta get a life. I didn't see the humor in the title until you mentioned it.

Steve

Originally posted by Bill Meredith:
Do you happen to know which brand Harris Teeter is selling? Swift Premium, Hatfield?
Smithfield. The one I bought had a different expiration date because it was a presale butt. It is a good looking rectangle. The other butts were oddly shaped with a lot of fat and there was a lot of fat running horizonally.
I need to do some shopping today so I'll give the butts another look.

I was at my local Sam's club , they offered case pricing 1.59 I think, twin packs. Unfortunately as far as I know they don't really grade pork like they do Beef, at least that's what I been told. I trim mine anyway and to make pulled pork shape doesn't really does it.

Back