Picanha/Rump Cover

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
While shopping in Portugal this summer, I came across a cut of beef which is new to me. It's called Picanha in Portuguese and, apparently, Rump Cover in English. It seems it's served on skewers in those Brazilian all-you-can eat restaurants known as Rodizios.

I wasn't sure what it was, as it was packed in Cryovac, but I could see it had a nice fat cap on it, so I bought a piece thinking it was probably a piece of brisket flat. I took it home, cooked it low and slow, and served it to some Spanish friends along with some pork butt from a black-legged Iberian hog.

Let me tell you, that Picanha was some of the finest Q I've ever turned out! The texture was like that of a brisket, and it was succulent and extremely flavorful. I'll definitely be serving it again. I might even try grilling it.

Are any of you familiar with Picanha or other Brazilian cuts of beef?

Yes. They used to be called 'cloak steaks' here because of the thick layer of fat 'cloaking' the meat. This was years ago. It's the only way I really like rump. Because most meat retailers get in already trimmed rump one can't get it easily. I get locally raised beef from rancher friends and that's when we have it. It's delicious cooked slowly on spits as well. It's cut from the forward section of the rump (top of the round) near the sirloin.

'Rodizio' is the style of the restaurant service--it means the waiters come to the table in endless rounds of service. Usually the restaurants are called 'churrascarias' but I have seen a few referred to as rodizios.

The short ribs at churrascarias are also great, as is the goat if they've got it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Because most meat retailers get in already trimmed rump one can't get it easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same problem here with brisket. It all comes in with the fat cap all trimmed off. That's why I'm so excited about these cloak steaks. They give me a delicious beef option to go along with the wonderful Spanish pork.

I'm off to Lisbon in a few days, where I've heard there are some outstanding churrascarias, as there is quite a large Brazilian community there.

Thanks for the reply, Kevin.

My Brazilian friends/clients absolutely loved this cut of meat - we had it at several places when I was in Sao Paulo a few years ago (it was quite good - they are very proud of it like it is a national treasure). The Rodizios are an experience that everyone should get to enjoy. I have read that they are becoming popular in the U.S., but I can say that they haven't broken into the Chattanooga market yet.

We've got one just down the street, but it's run by Spaniards who don't know a damned thing about grilling meat Brazilian style. They do make tasty caipirinhas though, and there's a delectable carioca who serves them, so I have been known to pop in for a drink or three. LOL!

Are yall talking about Texas De Brazil? They have one here in Memphis,TN. Its pretty good. You have a card that as long as the green is top then they will keep serving you meat until you flip your card to the red side.

That's common practice at this type of restaurant, yes. I've never heard of that particular one, though. How's the food?

Hi,

I'm Brazilian and can confirm that Picanha is indeed one of the most (if not the most) appreciated cuts over here. It is usually skewered whole and rock-salted, then heated on coal fire. It may also be cut in beefs and grilled. Cooking is very unusual though, as it is already very tender.

Back