Photos of Recent Cooks on 18.5 WSM

TomSMcCann

I recently picked up a used 2004 18.5 WSM off Craigslist for $100 and have been quite busy with it. So busy that I have forgotten to take a lot of pictures, but I did get some along the way.

I've been using a pellet grill for a couple of years now (Traeger and MAK) and wanted to try a WSM after I had some ribs off one over summer. I have really been enjoying the WSM so far.

A few pics of my MAK 1 Star General

Congrats on the 18". Looks like some delicious food. One word of advice though. It looks like you cut that brisket with the grain. It would be more tender slicing it against the grain.

Welcome to the 18" WSM club! You will love it!! I've had mine for 11 yrs now, made killer briskets pulled pork etc, way too easy to use! Your pellet smoker looks nice. Your Tri Tip looks great! Nice food pics!

Enjoy your new WSM, and don't forget a taste for the pup! Do you like the pellet smoker and can you tell any difference
between how the food would come out from it or the WSM?

Enjoy your new WSM, and don't forget a taste for the pup! Do you like the pellet smoker and can you tell any difference
between how the food would come out from it or the WSM?

The pup definitely gets his fair share of food off the grills. He and the other two dogs who aren't pictures. They always seem to come around when they smell the hint of smoke... Sure wonder why.

I can notice a slight difference between pellet smoked food and charcoal with wood chunks. I personally prefer the taste of charcoal cooked food, but I would say most people really can't tell the difference between the two. The only one who says they like the charcoal more and notice a difference is my wife. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that my MAK pellet grill produces insane amounts of smoke and it gets in the house much more than the smoke off my WSM, and she hates it. I will continue using my pellet grill during week nights when I don't have a lot of time to prep the WSM, but the WSM will be my weekend warrior when I have more time.

Have you been looking into a pellet grill?

Also, below is a picture of some ribs I did on my MAK a few weeks ago. It produces a very nice smoke flavor and ring to go with it.

I can't believe how much smoke is coming from the MAK. Is that the smoke setting?

Yes, that's on the smoke setting. It produces a good amount of smoke up to ~250 degrees, then tapers off as you raise the temp. Amazing Ribs did a write up on the 1 star and said it produces some of the best smoke for a pellet grill. But again, it's a different kind of cooking than with the WSM.

Back