Peruvian Chicken Night

Reviving a year old conversation because the subject is the same: Peruvian chicken with aji verde sauce.

I said a week or two ago that I would get to this. Took the recipe from here:

https://www.feastingathome.com/grilled-peruvian-chicken-with-green-sauce/

This was my first Peruvian chicken cook. This was also my first time using smoked paprika in a recipe. Good stuff!

I let the chicken marinade in the fridge for about 10 hours. Here's the cook, after a final basting on the grill, about 3/4 of the way to being ready:

Peruvian 2.jpg

I decided to make the aji verde with the suggested alternative to mayo or sour cream. So I used raw cashews. I also substituted parsley for cilantro because many at the table, including yours truly, do not like the oft overpowering flavor of cilantro. However, I did add in a spoonful of chimichurri to compensate. I made a double quantity and used an entire hot green pepper, seeds and pulp removed. If it were up to me alone, I would have added a 2nd pepper but the Mrs. vetoed.

The mixture was so thick that it would not slide back to the blender blades. So I had to add a touch of water. It tasted yummy. Just look how smooth and thick it came out - and that color!

Aji verde.jpg

It's so spreadable, it's incredible! 😝 I really enjoyed licking the blender parts clean, even if it wasn't melted chocolate.

Dinner was served and the chicken and the aji verde got rave reviews all around the table. This is a very flavorful combination without being overpowering. I actually enjoyed eating one bite of chicken with sauce, followed by the next without. Both were very tasty.

While I was grilling, I noshed on a fresh lightly dressed crisp salad my wife handed me. I couldn't help noticing that perhaps the bowl looked a bit South American. So I took a shot for posterity.

Salad.jpg

Once again, thanks to all of you for the cooking advice and recipe suggestions. Thanks again, @Chris Allingham , for providing us all with these great opportunities to learn, share and laugh together. Have a great weekend everybody!

Looks good Darren! I didn't see any basting mentioned in the recipe, but you mentioned that you did a final basting. Did you use leftover/newly mixed marinade?

Back