Pernil Pork Proccess Started

Originally posted by Bryan Rice:
How was this skin in end (having to take it off and all?)
It got way too crispy and hard. Bout took out a row of teeth with it. The skin is just not that important to me, so I'll prob just skip that whole deal the next time.

hi, old post here i know... i've seen that when the skin is uncapped and cooked it contracts like a rubberband, then toughens up after rendering so it's a lose lose situation. leaving it on but air drying it over night like the Asian (Chinese specifically) technique helps crisp it up alot better. Well, so does a broiler.

Going to do this on Saturday and I read somewhere to start the cook @ 450 for one hour then drop it down to 250 to finish it, any thoughts on this process? Also, Bryan, did you use any smoke wood on your cook?

Originally posted by LarryR:
I read somewhere to start the cook @ 450 for one hour then drop it down to 250 to finish it, any thoughts on this process? Also, Bryan, did you use any smoke wood on your cook?
My friend Louie just cooked the Pernil over an open pit in PR. He said not to use any smoke wood so I just cooked the pork over Humphrey's lump. HTH, B

Pernil Cook Pictures

Thanks Bryan, any thoughts on the temps? Just picked up my picnic, she's about 9.6 lbs, looks really good, I'm going to marinade 48 hours.

Update: Just got the cook going, I'm going to go low on the front end then high for the last hour (reverse sear). Using a full chimney of Rancher, figure the cook should go about 9 hours. Roast marinaded for about 36 hours, I injected every time I flipped, tried injecting right before I put her on but my injector malfunctioned, she should be plenty pumped though. Gave her a through coating of Adobo prior to putting her on, also tossed some salt on per Bryan's suggestion above.

I'm officially a Pernil fan; end product was delicious and it was a nice departure from pulled pork. I ran her around 265 - 270 for 9 hours then attempted to crank her up for the reverse sear. Well, a chimney of Rancher will only go so far, couldn't get her over 360 so I threw her on the gasser at 550. After I put her on the gasser I looked at my fuel and there was probably only enough Rancher to maintain the lower temps for another couple hours, still not bad, 11 hours out of a chimney of Rancher. Next time I'll use more fuel.

I took it off at 180, next time I'll probably take off right after she breaks out of the plateau. For the most part she sliced nicely but there were some pieces that wanted to shred. Meat was moist, tender and packed with flavor. The injecting really paid off. Also the garlic really added to the flavor.

If you haven't tried this cook I highly recommend. I took the lazy man's way out and used Mojo Criollo which was quite good.

Pictures are updated.

I fianlly got around to doing this yesterday. Went a little different approach though.

Since it was not planned I did not have a long marinade (about 8 hours). Then I tossed it on the EZ Q. Started at 400 degrees and let it work it's way down to 250 over a few hours for the finish. Basting every 30 minutes with achiote oil.

This got me the crispest skin I have ever made. Honestly the stuff was incredible. I pulled the meat off the rotiss at 165 and sliced after resting for a half an hour. The crust was excellent and flavorful and the marinade penetration was still pretty good with all of the slits cut in the meat.

Overall I would urge everyone to try this with the rotiss. It turns out great, is pretty easy and doesn't have the time commitment pulled pork does.

Clark

Back