Pernil Pork Proccess Started

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
This was a 3 way effort between Kevin Kruger, Luis Rosario (Louie), and Myself. Special Thanks to Kevin and Louie for helping me put this whole thing together.
icon_cool.gif

Tonight I made up the Achiote oil, marinade and skinned the picnic. Man did that marinade smell awsome. Start to finish all dishes, knives, cutting boards and the Oster washed 45 min. So it's not all that involed and was medium easy to do if anybody was wondering. If you haven't done alot of skinning of pork, meat, fish, etc. that part will prob slow you down some. Just remember to use a very sharp knife, I used my Wusthof filet knife that I just sharpened before the skinning part. Took about 2.5-3 min to skin it. In the pics you can see it's still attached by about a 1/2" piece. I made many 1-2" long slits about 1/2-3/4" deep on all sides. After I worked the marinade in all the slits I made into the meat and all over the entire picnic, I wrapped it up in wide saran wrap, and then into a 2 gal Zip bag with as much air removed as possible. Saturday I cook.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I will post the recipe and all the instructions/directions sometime Saturday or Sunday, once eveything is complete.
Link to Pernil Pork Pictures

I can't wait to see how that turns out! At what temps are you going to cook?

The couple times I've cooked a picnic I have not had much luck getting the skin crispy - it comes out chewy. I'd love to know how the skin comes out for you.

Originally posted by Bryan Rice:
I can't wait to see how that turns out! At what temps are you going to cook?

The couple times I've cooked a picnic I have not had much luck getting the skin crispy - it comes out chewy. I'd love to know how the skin comes out for you.
Bryan, Pretty sure that's the main reason to seperate the skin off the picnic, and no marinade on the top of the skin, just salt for a crispy skin, from what Kevin told me, and Louie said to baste with Achiote oil every 45 min to 1 hr to help get the skin really crispy. I plan on getting the WSM to at least 450 when it first goes in. It'll drop once the cold picnic gets in there and going to shoot for 350-375 for the whole cook. I'll be using lump so high heat won't be a problem. If only you could have smelled how wonderful the marinade smelled. I have real high hopes for this cook.
icon_smile.gif

That looks so awesome! I would love to try this. Can you post your marinade recipe and achiote oil recipe?

Can't wait to see the final result.

Thanks,
Bill

Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
Hey Bryan....can I help with the cook?
icon_biggrin.gif
Dude!, The beer is cold, and the door is always open.
icon_wink.gif

Incase anyone wants to know what Pernil is or how this whole thing got started, here's the link to the original thread from almost 3 years ago. Pernil on the WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif

Morning all,
Making me hungry and it's only 0930 here! Interesting how many different cultures cook pork wrapped in SOMETHING. I have done puerco pibil form Mexico. It uses babana leaves as the wrap. Also uses annetto seeds. Real good stuff.

Now I can't wait until Saturday just to see how YOUR cook comes out. I'm trying to imagine the marinade smell - it seems like it would be really tasty!

Well I'm stoked too Dudes and Dudettes! Went and got the Humphrey Lump after work for this cook, well 240 lbs so this cook and a few others.
icon_biggrin.gif
But this cook might run late on Sat. I'm getting on the Harley and heading down South to MD to meet up with Dean Larsen. He scored me some Tri-Tips and I need to pick them up, along with some Everclear.
icon_smile.gif
So this might be a late cook, pending how late I stay up tonight, drinking cheap American Swill.
icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL...240lbs of lump....well, if 'we' ever get invaded, I'm driving to your house!! Have you got the WSM configured for the bomb-shelter yet?
icon_biggrin.gif

Everclear.....is that some sipping whiskey I've heard of?
icon_wink.gif

OK, Got back from my ride down to MD to pick up some Tri Tips from Dean Larsen. Had a great time talking to Dean, I'm sure we will meet up again sometime soon. I had a great MD pit beef sammie for lunch, but Dean had to leave.
icon_frown.gif
The Pernil is on the WSM over Hump lump and a full chimney of lit, 50/50 mix of leftover RO briqs from the last cook and Hump lump. I put the roast on a small V rack I have. WSM is at 350 and the smell is awsome.
icon_cool.gif
Link to Pernil Cook Pics.

Well it's looking great. I did forget one step and that was to secure the skin back on with tooth picks or skewers.
icon_frown.gif
Oh well the marinade/paste was getting kinda funky and gummy under the skin so I just pulled it off an place it on the grate. One way or the other, I'll have crispy skin.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, done ate already. Took exactly 5 hrs at 350º. I took it to an internal temp of 180. The Pernil was very good, but need to tweak the recipe some. It was lacking salt big time and that's my main complaint. Next time I think I'll just skin it and not bother with the whole crispy skin thing. All in all I was very happy with how it came out. Final pics are posted in the cook almbum.

About the final pics.....I clicked on the OP pic link and there is 8 pics in there...the same as before. Is there another link?

Dang, I hate to hear that it wasn't perfect/great and all that....you planned this for at least a week. Did you have any crispy skin?

Originally posted by Wayne Truelove:
About the final pics.....I clicked on the OP pic link and there is 8 pics in there...the same as before. Is there another link?

Dang, I hate to hear that it wasn't perfect/great and all that....you planned this for at least a week. Did you have any crispy skin?
A few posts above is the cook pics. Here's the link for you.

Back