Pernil on the WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Very interesting. Wonder if this would work on the EZ Que. Since upstream mentions that the cook on a spit. Might be a tight fit though in the kettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ray, The 9lb picnic I bought yesterday at BJ's is smaller than a 14-15lb Turkey. I like Kevin see, no reason why it wouldn't fit. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rotie? Or are you doing standard indirect style? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, rotis. I also do hams standing (shank up) in the WSM or kettle (using the rotis ring for height). A picnic is fine on a rotis, as Bryan notes.

Good to know. The picnics I've seen did seem as though they might work. I think that's the way I'd go if I play with a Pernil cook. Sounds great.

My Bud Luis came back from vacation and we got the recipe together at work today. He said he does a min of 24 hrs with the marinade/paste but likes to go 2 days if he can. Very interresting how he washes the pork before applying the marinade. So I'll mix it up Tomorrow/Thursday and take some pics along the way. I'm planing on cooking this Saturday, need to get lump though, but been without my truck all week, sup to get it back Thurs. I'll start a new thread and if it comes out good post the recipe and proccedure in the Pork Recipes forum.

I work with a Puerto Rican guy, and he's brought in pernil on many an occasion. He said it's one of those things you prep during the week, and cook on the weekend. He doesn't make a flap under the fat cap. He merely runs a knife into it and squeezes his paste rub into it. That will sit in his fridge for 2 days at the least, usually uncovered so the outside dries out. He said that he likes to baste with dark Bacardi rum too, it adds to the flavor.

reading this old thread... aren't bitter oranges used for this, perhaps the vinegar is just a shortcut? i've had pernil from cuban food stores that had a faint twang to the meat. would miss it if eating it too fast
icon_smile.gif

Sour orange is used to make mojo, very commonly used for braising or roast/braising of tougher cuts of pork in Cuban households. In Puerto Rico sour orange is not often used; vinegar is more common.

hey, thank you very much, guess i enjoy the flavor profile of such a bit more so i'll be making more cuban influenced pork shoulders
icon_smile.gif

I have made this an it turns out great. My mother in law does the seasoning. She uses a lot of garlic and sour orange, no vinegar, some oregano, adobo and a bunch of other stuff. She puts the seasoning together in a processor and makes a paste. She then peels the skin back and pokes finger sized holes and stuff the holes with the paste. She will let it sit for a few days to let it marinade.

Back