Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Badger

Help! I am wanting a performer to go with my 18.5 WSM. I found a prior 05 with a stainless table, or go with the new 2010 model? Any suggestions would be deeply apreciated.Thanks!

If the SS one is reasonably priced ($100 to $150) and is in good shape, then go for the used one. If not, spring for a new one.

You definitely want the old one because it uses a refillable 5lb tank of propane. A new performer uses a disposable propane cartridge. I suspect with the latter the propane costs are quite high. A single 5lb of propane is good for 180-200 lightings and you pay what you pay for propane by the pound at any propane vender. The SS is much nicer than the new plastic top.

I completely agree the old SS performer is way better in my opinion. I have had mine for about 3 years and couldn't be happier. Got it from craigs list from a guy who just didn't know what to do with it. So I thought I stole it from him and he thought he stole my money. I smiled all the way home and he probably called his friends and said a sucker born every day. Guess that is the way it is supposed to be.

I paid about $50 for my SS Performer (1991 Model) and spent about 20 bucks putting it back into A-1 shape. I've got a bunch of grills but it is the grill I am most comfortable cooking on. I like the look of the SS and the size of the work surface. BTW, mine was the model without the gas assist lighting. Not a problem: weed burner + propane take + about 4 minutes = lit charcoal!

A guy nearby has a newer (plastic table) model for $95 (won't budge) on CL. If he'd get a little more righteous with the price, I might get my 91SS a little playmate.

Pat

My experience presents a slightly different view
icon_rolleyes.gif
... I found the ss Performer to be a PITA because your can't access the storage under it without removing everything from the table top...same thing applies to using the propane lighter
icon_frown.gif
...I willed my ss Performer to my kids and bought a new one, which I promptly converted to a 10lb bottle
icon_wink.gif
... different strokes 4 different folks
icon_cool.gif

I bought a 2001 SS Performer on Monday for $75. I put $32 in it with new charcoal and cooking grates and $7 in propane refill.

The thing is in great shape to be 9 years old. It will probably put the Silver A "in storage".

Thanks guys, I found the stainless new for 100 more than the plastic and did not know if it was justified for the price difference. Are the parts to convert from 5 to a larger tank readily available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back