Performer w/gas assist will not ignite

Greg Y

TVWBB Pro
I got my performer with the gas assist used, and the original owner never did use the gas or even connect the igniter wires. The day I got it, I cleaned it all up, made sure the orifice and gas tube were clear, and cleaned up the connections where the spark goes.
It throws a nice, big fat juicy spark about 3/4" long with every click of the igniter button, but the propane passing through the pipe will not ignite.
How is it that the spark passes right through the gas and it won't light?
It lights just fine with a torch.

Doesn't make much sense at all. I've bought 3 used Performers and 1 didn't spark at all when I got it. After a full cleaning, they all fire up on the first click.
You've got something funny going on and I need explanation on the 3/4" long spark comment. The burner tube isn't that big. What's more important is the spark inside of the burner tube. Might bench-test ok, but assembled might have a weak connection. Can you take the rubber gas line off and crawl under the deck to look down the burner tube? Then click the button a dozen times to be sure you actually have spark in the burner tube.

Is the retaining clip in the burner tube and setup correctly? Don't know what model you have but if you go on Webers website you can get the manual to download.

When I first got it, I did remove the gas line and look inside the burner tube. The spark jumps from the electrode to the ID of the tube, which as you pointed out is probably only about 1/2". Sorry, it's been almost a year since I looked at it and I only remembered that the tube is about 3/4" OD.

If it's been a year, I'm willing to bet you have cobwebs or other cocoon remnants in the way. Or maybe some rust/oxidation at the mounting points for the wires where they aren't making contact. I'm willing to bet a cleaning will get you back up and running.

Roger, no the retainer clip was not positioned correctly, but it is now. Thanks for pointing that out. The original owner had just clipped it over the rubber gas line.
Chad, I just went out there and took the deck off (because I'm getting too old to work from underneath) and it throws a nice spark, everything is clean, the gas flows well (I had to unclog when I first got it) and it makes a nice flame when I light it with a torch.
I've never understood how this can be possible. I've got a nice spark, I've got plenty of flammable gas, but they ignore each other.

Honestly Chad, I'm glad to hear you say that because it really has me stumped. I just got used to lighting it, but since I joined this forum I figured I should get the darn thing working correctly.
I haven't called Weber about it because I figured they would just recite all the standard answers like, "clean the electrical connections, make sure the burner tube and orifice are not plugged" etc.

Is the flame out of the tube 95% blue and just orange tips? Any whistling sound? Wonder if you have bad gas? <snicker>

Back