Performer VS. Gasser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig H

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but is a Performer just as "convenient" as a gas grill (Spirit/Genesis) in terms of set up time etc? I'm weighing my options for quick weeknight cooks and for grilling this coming winter. I know that many of you have both kinds, so I'm looking for opinions/ pros and cons on both. -thanks!

Craig I find that my gasser is quicker to setup, about same time to cook, and easier to clean up. But, I do love my performer. Just waiting on my CI grates for the performer (already have them on the gasser).

I think the Performer is slightly more work, but worth the extra effort.

When I bought my Performer five years ago, I went a year without even firing up my gasser, so I sold it. Haven't missed it one bit.

--eric

Performer takes more time to come up to temp, but it has advantages over the gasser, slow cooks, smoke flavor is easier to add. Both have there +&-. I use both to make meals,& use both at the same time for a meal when like one is doing a pork butt I can do the sides on the gasser. If both were picked up from CL you could have both for a low price.

Weekends = charcoal
Weekdays = gas

Also charcoal always leaves me and clothes smelling like smoke. With a 5month old I'm using my gasser a lot during the week and weekends too.

I cook on my performer 4-6 times per week.

There are very few meals I can prep in less time than it takes to get my performer going.

During the week I get home from work or the store, scoop leftover charcoal into a chimney, top it off with new and put over the gas assist ignition on the Performer. Go in and work on prep. Few minutes later I walk out, turn off the gas and let the chimney do the rest. Go in, finish prep.

I go out to cook, dump the charcoal and throw the grates on. Preheats in no time and I am cooking. I would say 15 minutes from the time I start the charcoal to the time I am cooking.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:

There are very few meals I can prep in less time than it takes to get my performer going.

EXACTLY!!!

the people that find a gas grill more convenient need to start grilling things easier than fricken hot dogs and brats.

Originally posted by Garth C:
Weekends = charcoal
Weekdays = gas

Also charcoal always leaves me and clothes smelling like smoke. With a 5month old I'm using my gasser a lot during the week and weekends too.

That is my situation exactly...21 month old and no time during the week.

Originally posted by TroyRedington:

EXACTLY!!!

the people that find a gas grill more convenient need to start grilling things easier than fricken hot dogs and brats.

Heywaitaminutethere! I had to "cook" precooked andouille and some other preecooked sausage last night for dinner.

Oh yeah, I used the weber not the gasser anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif

I use a weed burner to start my charcoal an it takes no time to start cooking. I start the grill and then start doing my prep work and when that is done the coals are usually ready.

Originally posted by John Solak:
I use a weed burner to start my charcoal an it takes no time to start cooking. I start the grill and then start doing my prep work and when that is done the coals are usually ready.

Are you the guy on YouTube who uses the weed burner? I want one of those but don't know where to get one.

I can honestly say since I got my performer with gas assist that I haven't used a gasser.From start to finish very little different in time,but the taste of a charcoal cook tells it all.

Originally posted by C.Hill:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:

Are you the guy on YouTube who uses the weed burner? I want one of those but don't know where to get one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I'm not. I got my weed burner from Harbor Freight. They are on sale quite often but not right now.http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

I love my kettle, the finished product comes out tasting great, I can't match it on my Genesis.

It is hard to beat a gas grill for a quick up and done cook though.

Yeah I agree that I just couldnt match the flavor when I owned my 2007 Char-Broil gasser. I sold it for $60 since I used my kettles 98% (now 100%) of the time. The flavor is unmatched. Since I have a chimney starter, the coals light in about 10 min. Compared to my neighbor who lights her OTG with lighter fuid and is about 25-30 min before she puts her food on. Just wondering if the Performer is worth the cost. Id kill for an old red genesis, but thats a pipe dream for now.

I would have to agree with just about everybody else. Gas grills are helpful for the mid week cook but if I only could have one grill a performer would be it for sure.

Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Performer takes more time to come up to temp, but it has advantages over the gasser, slow cooks, smoke flavor is easier to add. Both have there +&-. I use both to make meals,& use both at the same time for a meal when like one is doing a pork butt I can do the sides on the gasser. If both were picked up from CL you could have both for a low price.

pretty much sums up how i feel as well. i own a kettle, a wsm, and a summit gasser. i have used all three at one time for larger cooks and for specific meals. also have used the gasser when i just want a faster more convenient startup process. i love the rotisserie of my summit and legs of lamb and beef tenderloins turn out great. also love the char and smoke flavors that i get from my kettle. i try to use all types of grills and have fun with each one. my gasser is connected to my gas line so i never fiddle with tanks. i also stock up on kf blue during the hot sales at home depot. i grill all year round. and use them all. if i had to have only one, i would prefer the charcoal grill but only issue would be having enough grilling space so i guess it would have to be the 26 3/4 model for sure. maybe a ranch. lol

I too use my gas about 20% and charcoal about 80%, I do use my gas alot more in the winter months, but as stated here you can not match the charcoal flavor. I lived where you could not have a charcoal for fire issues so bought the gas, but a Weber is like owning a Honda they last forever and hold there price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back