Performer Temp Trouble, Think It's Me

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
So I had my first cook on CHARCOAL LAST NIGHT GENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is that I had a hard time getting a good sear off the bat despite having the steak over coals. I was cooking a two inch thick bone in ribeye and it took at least 20 mins to get the center to 125 before I pulled it, and about 8 of that was trying to get it to sear. That left me with a good bit of overcooked outside but it was still amazingly good. It was a dry aged 1.6 pound monster that I salted for two days before.

I lit my chimney full to the top with coals and let them burn till they were about 1/2 way lit in the chimney then dumped it all on one side and then give it about 5 mins to heat. It only hit about 400 on the therm and the bottom vent was open 80% I'd say and the top was mostly closed I think. Vent was over the coals on the top.

Any tips on getting the grille hotter for a good seat? I really want to learn to cook on charcoal, it's almost as easy as gas and way more flavorful, although this time I got more of a burnt flavor than a smokey flavor from the fact of it being over the hot side so long to sear. :(

Thanks so much guys, I look forward to learning to do this right with all y'alls help!

-Cory

Cory, I always leave the top vent wide open.
You said you started with a full chimney, is it a weber chimney ?- the reason I ask is some chimney's dont hold as much as the weber. When you let the coals burn in the chimney how long did it take ?
I have a performer as well and I usually run the gas assist for about 2- 3 min then about 15 - 20 min to get the coals going before I dump them.

I have the weber chimney and filled it to the top with Royal Oak lump charcoal. I let it burn till the chimney was about half lit, probably took about 15 mins, them I dumped it out on one side of the grill and and most of the unlit chunks were on top. Gave it about 5 mins to heat up and about all I got the whole cook was 400 degrees.

Cory next time try leaving both the bottom and top vents open. Also, for a good sear, I usually like to preheat the grate at least ten minutes before putting on the steaks. Also using lump instead of briquettes will give you more heat. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
Rolf

I know with briquettes you let it turn white, but with lump is it best to cook over it when it's red and glowing or wait till that dies down a bit? I know that it didn't turn as white as briquettes I've seen turn when my grandfather use to cook with charcoal. I guess that white is from the few additives they add to briquettes. I may need to switch over to briquettes till I get charcoal grilling down path a little better since it's a bit more consistent.

I may need to switch over to briquettes till I get charcoal grilling down path a little better since it's a bit more consistent.

Cory I agree with this. Eliminate some of the variables. Actually it's not really that hard but this allows you to master one thing really well and then move on. Keep those drafts open though when you want high temp direct. :)

I find that leaving the lid slightly off to the side of the kettles with a 1" crack helps get the temps up quicker. It allows much more air flow. I have trouble getting above 450 with the lid sitting flush to the bottom, even with a full chimney. With it cracked, I can hit 600+ with a chimney full of fresh briquettes (even higher with lump) - see my avatar

I am also finding that after I give the chimney about 10 minutes of burning that after I dump it the coals stay glowing for 5 mins then turn white. Not hot for very long at all. After a cooking session should most of the lump be turned to complete ash? I have about 50% of my lump still there in hard form, not ash. I literally got about 5 mins of really hot heat and got some bread seared and then threw the steaks over it and nothing. Cooked to a uniform temperature throughout slowly. My red center turned pink before I EVER thought about getting a good crust.

Should the chimney be allowed to come to a full burn? Prior to dumping my chimney has a flame coming out of the top about 6 inches high, so it was fully combusted and lit. I guess I really need a good detailed description of what to do and the correct way to get charcoal going in the chimney and what to look for before dumping and cooking.

Also, I am using those little basket that come with the performer. Think that them being dumped all over that is keeping some hot coals from contacting one another? Maybe the hot ones are getting divided from the cooler less lit ones? Whenever I dump some coals go in the basket and some land outside of it since it isn't very large. I have a cook tonight and really want to perform for my friends. These people have had some good food off of my Genesis and I really want to impress with charcoal since the flavor profile is about 10 times better when you get a cook cook from one.

Lump is a little different than using briqs, not difficult, just different
Some brands are more denser, which can take more time in the chimney to lite. Ro ( which I use) only takes a few minutes (for me, using a propane torch) to start seeing flames licking out of the top. Thats when I dump. If I wait till fully engulfed, than you're experience sounds right.

Tim

I find that leaving the lid slightly off to the side of the kettles with a 1" crack helps get the temps up quicker. It allows much more air flow. I have trouble getting above 450 with the lid sitting flush to the bottom, even with a full chimney. With it cracked, I can hit 600+ with a chimney full of fresh briquettes (even higher with lump) - see my avatar

Ditto.

Plus, using a cast iron grate works well for searing. Some use Craycort but I went cheap and bought a $25 Char-Broil Adjustable Rectangle Porcelain-Coated Cast Iron Cooking GrateI picked up at Lowes. I lay on top of the regular kettle grate.

So when charcoal ignition occurs in the chimney you've waited too long? I always have cooked with the lid and and bottom vent wide open, but I really expect more than 400 degrees and a longer burn time than 5 mins outta lump. Are briquettes not much longer lasting? A full chimney of either I thought would give very high heat for 20 mins at least, but I am absolutely new to charcoal.

With my exp w/ RO lump if you wait till the chimney is fully engulfed, you only have a limited time. I always have some leftover lump in the OTG, and dump the partially lit chimney on top, pre-heat the grates for 5min and i easily peg 550 measured @ the top vent using a turkey fryer therm.

Tim

Well maybe I will get better results from briquettes then. I have seen people smoking with lump charcoal, but I can't see how you could get a 5 hour or so burn even using the minion method with lump. The stuff seems to last minutes once it's lit.

Well that's you're call :)
I can get 8-10 hrs maybe more on my 18.5" WSM in my backyard using the MM. And my temps like to run @ 275-300.
Try some RO briqs (which I like) and experiment with adding some lump towards the end, to add some higher heat.

Tim

Thanks a bunch for the help Tim, I am heading out tonight to buy some briqs and give them a go. Hopefully I can get them to last a little longer since I'm be slow roasting some taters on the Performer tonight.

Back