Performer Table Durability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm still trying to decide between a couple of kettles, a performer, that fancy Napoleon charcoal grill and now a Bubbakeg ... egg and primo have fallen out of the running for me with the arrival of Bubbakeg ...

I'm tilted toward performer right now mainly with the gas assist ... no more making light up charcoal messes on the deck, I'll be direct lighting in the bowl. I love the work table idea and slide aside is a huge plus over a gold kettle IMO.

But looking at a floor model already showing scratches in the table got me wondering how bad that plastic table might look in a couple of years.

How are your plastic tables holding up Performer people?

Mine is holding up fine. I am persistent about wiping it down before and after every cook though. I just use some surface cleaner and a paper towel. I wipe the grill down too.

Mine is one year old and it gets used 3 or 4 times per week. However, the table looks new, but it took some elbow grease to clean it up after winter was over.

I am sure that you will be happy with the Performer.

I have a Genesis Silver B, which has basically the same Thermoset type table as a Performer.
-6 years old
-used 2-3 times a week year round
-covered most of the time, but not always
-I never put anything on there that is really hot

It still looks great. It does stain occasionally but soaking and scrubbing takes care of it. I don't see any obvious scratches.

So in a nutshell, I'm sold on the Thermoset tables. I would have no worries about getting a Performer.

Hi there Shawn,

I beleive there must be many reasons why you SHOULD go with the performer, but I'm just going to relay to you and all the other good folks here what I think of them.

I live in Sydney, Australia and bought my performer when it was on an after summer special just over a year ago and it is the best purchase I've made in a long time.Mine cost me $AU589 but retail for $AU729 usually.
My old Bronze OTS is very jealous and sits alone in it's corner and sobs quietly.
icon_frown.gif

I got the sage green kettle colour which is really nice just as long as I don't park it near too many trees, I won't be able to find it otherwise
icon_biggrin.gif

First of all, it's screwed on pretty well onto the framework which seems to be quite sturdy.
The work table is fantastic and I really can't see that it shouldn't last for many years unless you put something very hot on it.
It is supposed to be very heat resistant but up to what temps, I don't know.
I like the way it's situated just under the lip of the kettle so it's very easy to slip food from a plate onto the grill & Visa Versa.

Another major plus in my book is that because the kettle is built in to the framework, It sits up a lot higher than a OTS & OTG so it's easier on the back as theres little bending.
The framework trolley has 2 large wheels at one end and lockable caster wheels at the other and your performer won't roll away on you too easily.
The storage bin is great, holds a fair lot of charcoal & smoking wood.I have read that some folks have experienced melting with the storage bin but i haven't witnessed that problem largely because I mostly have the fire at the other end/side of kettle.

Gas starting system is good but i wish it had an adapter so I can run it on a larger tank rather than those propane cannisters which are $12.95 each and only lasts for less than 10 light-ups.
I think overall for practical grilling, usability and robust structure, the Performer is tops.
That's why you see the Weber performer in many BBQ Videos on Youtube with the Barbeque Pit Boys and webernation with Jamie Purviance.

Hope this helps with your decision Shawn, just go and buy it..you KNOW you want it!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

Davo

Thanks very much for your input all, sounds like the table doesn't mark up too badly and cleans well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i wish it had an adapter so I can run it on a larger tank rather than those propane cannisters which are $12.95 each and only lasts for less than 10 light-ups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Davo these are the adapter hoses we use over here for that:

POL type
images

QCC type
images

Would one of those not work in Australia? Are your connectors different?

Shawn, My performer is a little over a year old, and it holding up great! Nothing to worry about....but... As I was sitting outside the other day looking at my performer, I got an idea. What if I took the table off and took it to one of my woodworking friends. Have them duplicate the table in a nice wood, or what I was thinking, a butcher block style table...maybe someday.

Hi Shawn,

They look completely different to our set ups here and i think I may have to install a different regulator than the one used for the canisters.
I think I may have to call up Weber Aust. to find out if there is an adapter kit.None of the local Weber dealers seems to know much either.

Thanks

Cheers
Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davo:
Hi Shawn,

They look completely different to our set ups here and i think I may have to install a different regulator than the one used for the canisters.
I think I may have to call up Weber Aust. to find out if there is an adapter kit.None of the local Weber dealers seems to know much either.

Thanks

Cheers
Davo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Davo, I would go to a propane dealer or a good hardware store for these. Maybe even a good rv/camping store. Those are the places here that could help you.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davo:
Hi Shawn,

Thanks

Cheers
Davo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah, well I did come across this ... ozziebuddy.com hothead torch adapter maybe this guys small tank adapter would work for you ... the are replacing the same end on the torch that we see on our performers here. If not maybe he can steer you in the right direction.

So I did it, I bought the performer in Blue. First run will be tomorrow night! Thanks all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back