Performer Repair Help

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
I have one of the old style Performers with the stainless steel table that I got about 7 years ago off of CC ($70 score!). The ash sweepers are shot and needed replacing. I ordered the part from Weber only to find that the bottoms are not for the old Performer as they do not protrude far enough out to attach on the bracket to hold the ash collector. I called and spoke at length with Weber and was told that they no longer carry or make the original. If I want to attach the ash collector I needed to buy another $80+ worth of parts to convert it to the newer model. So, for now I just have the ash collector sitting underneath. Anyone have any work around for this problem. I imagine that others with the old style will eventually encounter this problem as the sweepers age.
Thanks,
Don

do some research. i think the newer (pre 2014) style ash catcher can be attached to the leg sockets with a little modding . check the kettle club site too.

There I a person on the kettle club that makes and sells the bars for the old grill ash cans.
Chad Bman I beleive could tell you how to adapt a new style ash pan.

I have the same grill and I used a newer sweep and ash catcher it just snapped into grooves on leg all parts shouldn't cost more than 40 message me if you need any other help

Plenty of help and advice over at weber kettle club. You might even be able to find someone who has a spare 7409 (the older style sweeper that you need).....

This is kind of an old thread but I just ran across this problem with my 1998 Performer and thought I would share my $1.50 fix. Like others, my one touch cleaning system and ash bar were rusted needing replacement. I got the same story from Weber that they no longer make these parts. I have a coworker (a sheet metal worker) that was willing to make a new ash bar but there was no way to get it to work with the new 7444 sweeper. After showing him the problem he suggested that we could extend the tabs on the new "H" system and lower the holes for the sweeper handle. That seemed like a lot of work to me.

After reconsidering the problem I decided that attaching the ash bowl to the bottom of the grill (to the leg stubs) would be a better solution but I needed a suitable fastener. My first thought was to use hose clamps and while looking online for the correct size I started thinking that if it wasn't for the heat I could use zip (cable) ties. A little more searching led me to stainless steel zip ties. They have a 100# tensile strength and pack of 10 was only $5 at my local Menards store. I installed them last night. It couldn't have been any easier and it seems like they will work. My only concern is that the sharp edges on the vent holes might cut through the ties but I pulled on them very hard and it seems like they will hold up well. If not, I'll try my hose clam idea next.

I used 3 hose clamps to attach the ring to the bottom of the kettle, worked perfect. Got this advice somewhere on the internet. $3 fix!

Back