performer renovation/rebuild?

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Jamie,

thanks for offering up your time to the forum. About six years ago I bought an older, stainless steel performer for $30. it was in perfect shape, barely used. In retrospect, i haven't treated it well and it's been exposed, uncovered to the elements of our harsh northeastern winters. At this point, the feet that cover the air vents on the bottom of the grill have rusted off, the ash catcher falls off its mounting and the lids is out of round (following a 30 foot fall off our deck!).

Wondering if you have any experience renovating weber grills? Are parts generally available and backwards compatible? Or do you think I should give up the ghost and find a new one?


ps have read many of the weber books and enjoyed them all.
Last edited:

Jamie Purviance

TVWBB Super Fan
Jeff, it's hard to say goodbye but I think it is time let that old Performer go. I have never renovated an old Weber. If you want to pursue this, call Customer Service at 1-800-GRILLOUT. They can tell you which parts are still available. Thanks for pat on the back about my books.

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
May be time for a "Viking Funeral" -

Put her on a fireproof surface and make the last cook a batch of Thermite!


TVWBB Wizard
By "feet", are you talking about the ash sweeps in the bowl ? If so, everything that you mentioned is easily fixable.


TVWBB Wizard
dave, thanks, yes, it's the ash sweeps. How do you suggest I fix the set of problems I described in the op?
Jeff, you're welcome.

You can order a replacement ash sweep kit from Weber. It's part# 7444. You can also order a new ash catcher and ring, part# 65143. Just an FYI, your Stainless Performer came with a slightly different ash sweep and catcher. It had a steel bar that held the ash catcher ring on. The new ash catcher will require some slight modifications to work. Basically, you bend a couple of tabs to straighten them out then secure the ring to the leg sockets with hose clamps or wire. Takes about 5 to 10 mins to complete.

For the out of round lid, there's a couple of methods to employ. For the first one, place the lid upside down and using a measuring tape, measure the diameter at a number of points around the lid. To illustrate, picture the lid as a clock face. Measure from 12 to 6, 1 to 7, 2 to 8, 3 to 9, etc. Use some masking tape or something else to mark the spots where the measurements are the longest. For simplicity, let's say that from 12 to 6 is the longest. Pick the lid up and hold it like you were hugging it. 12 position directly out in front and 6 position at your chest. Then just apply some pressure and squeeze back into round.

Alternative method is basically same as above, but use some long clamps if you happen to have them. That or a "band clamp". Basically, an adjustable strap that your can wrap around the lip of the lid. Ratchet it down and it should reform the circle.

BTW, the above presumes that the lid is merely "out of round". If it's been creased or has a big dent in the lip, that's different