Performer Question

Thanks for the great info guys. Upon early inspection this girl is solid. The ash catcher is on at the wrong angle easy fix. Interestingly enough the ash catcher looks like it has never been used clean as a whistle. The kettle has definitely been used a few times and the ash brushes and grates need replaced. I just rebuilt a basic 22”. Going to rob from Peter to pay Paul and get it rolling smoke.

Clean up went great. Time to put the new parts on.

Attachments

• 601A1719-66CF-4181-A3F1-FC6A9109FC14.jpeg
    601A1719-66CF-4181-A3F1-FC6A9109FC14.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1DDB49F1-CAD9-4A68-B846-9EED47918721.jpeg
    1DDB49F1-CAD9-4A68-B846-9EED47918721.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 22
  • B9C59CA4-E2E4-4464-8ECA-65A8E0911D61.jpeg
    B9C59CA4-E2E4-4464-8ECA-65A8E0911D61.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 21
  • A2F09C4D-9C53-4FE8-AA1A-5C38203B0FB0.jpeg
    A2F09C4D-9C53-4FE8-AA1A-5C38203B0FB0.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 23
  • 8FB78C7B-A70C-4952-B2EE-FE05165D0E55.jpeg
    8FB78C7B-A70C-4952-B2EE-FE05165D0E55.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 23
Clean up went great. Time to put the new parts on.

Look how beautiful that is.

If I had bought that Performer, at that price, I could easily justify an extra expense of a nice upgrade like this for $100

Or, you could get crazy and go with a new wood table and wood handle, vent tab, and lid bale rollers.

FB_IMG_1599932756439.jpg

But, that's just what I'd do..... 😎

I think you have a piezo igniter, the kind with the red button that you press.
The other type is the electronic type with the chrome button.

Either way, I'd start by cleaning out the burner tube with a bottle brush and blow it clean.

Take the black pipe off the metal burner tube. There is a clip you remove by prying it off with a flat head screwdriver. (Don't lose the clip!)
Once the pipe is off stick a bottle brush down the burner tube and clean it really good. More than likely there is some spider webs and ashes/dust built up in there...
After brushing either blow it clean with some canned air or a compressor.

Then check the electrical connections on the burner tube and the other end that connects to the igniter button.

That should fix it. I've bought and sold about 30 performers this year and have not had to replace an igniter yet.

If you need to replace the Piezo igniter, I bought this 5 pack for pretty cheap. I had to buy these to fix an older Genesis grill. They use the same igniter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7T6PP/?tag=tvwb-20

Or you can just buy the whole assembly and replace it all, not too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DD1W1NW/?tag=tvwb-20

I think you have a piezo igniter, the kind with the red button that you press.
The other type is the electronic type with the chrome button.

Either way, I'd start by cleaning out the burner tube with a bottle brush and blow it clean.

Take the black pipe off the metal burner tube. There is a clip you remove by prying it off with a flat head screwdriver. (Don't lose the clip!)
Once the pipe is off stick a bottle brush down the burner tube and clean it really good. More than likely there is some spider webs and ashes/dust built up in there...
After brushing either blow it clean with some canned air or a compressor.

Then check the electrical connections on the burner tube and the other end that connects to the igniter button.

That should fix it. I've bought and sold about 30 performers this year and have not had to replace an igniter yet.

If you need to replace the Piezo igniter, I bought this 5 pack for pretty cheap. I had to buy these to fix an older Genesis grill. They use the same igniter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7T6PP/?tag=tvwb-20

Or you can just buy the whole assembly and replace it all, not too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DD1W1NW/?tag=tvwb-20

Thanks for the in bro! It lights fine with a lighter but nothing with the button (It is the red style). The wires are super rusty so I might as well replace.

Thanks for the in bro! It lights fine with a lighter but nothing with the button (It is the red style). The wires are super rusty so I might as well replace.
I would not be quick to replace that when you say super rusty are you talking about the ground wire at the bowl which on mine is a white wire that has a screw to attach it. The wires on the push button should be fine but make sure you wiggle them a bit to make sure they are snug. I would try at the bowl remove that screw clean that wire connection it just could be loose over the years use some sandpaper to clean it up can't remember if when you remove the screw you can just pull out the ceramic piece which has the wire tip clean that also.

I spray these connectors with a product called https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-...zuue9Snhb8nqnqYC_BhoCbs0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sure would not hurt to pull the wires of the red igniter gently and I mean gently spray them also.

I would not be quick to replace that when you say super rusty are you talking about the ground wire at the bowl which on mine is a white wire that has a screw to attach it. The wires on the push button should be fine but make sure you wiggle them a bit to make sure they are snug. I would try at the bowl remove that screw clean that wire connection it just could be loose over the years use some sandpaper to clean it up can't remember if when you remove the screw you can just pull out the ceramic piece which has the wire tip clean that also.

I spray these connectors with a product called https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-...zuue9Snhb8nqnqYC_BhoCbs0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sure would not hurt to pull the wires of the red igniter gently and I mean gently spray them also.

thanks, I will give it a try.

So I am constantly checking Facebook market place for a deal. Today I had another one fall in my lap for $50 with a metal table.....
That's a very good deal, that one doesn't have the gas starter though.
Buy it, clean it, sell it for $175. Use the money to buy some cool accessories for your green performer....maybe even swap over that metal table to your green Performer and then sell the no gas copper with the plastic table

So I am constantly checking Facebook market place for a deal. Today I had another one fall in my lap for $50 with a metal table.....

I would swap the metal table to the green one with gas assist, as well as any parts that are in better shape than the green one currently has. Then list the copper one with the plastic table for $100-$125. When you sell it you will essentially have a free green, gas assist Performer with a metal table. That's one heck of a turn of events.

Yes that is my plan to swap tables. I was not expecting to find these deals. Mostly what I see for sale are 22" entry level Kettles for $40-$70.....

Back