Performer project

RobWeird

New guy here coming from NE Indiana. This is my first post outside of my introduction, so please have patience with me. I’ve been a gas cooker for the last 30 years. Within the last 10 years I’ve dabbled in smoking meats on entry level equipment. We are in the process of upgrading our back patio and I have decided I want to move towards charcoal grilling. Before I make a big purchase I thought I’d grab a used kettle to be sure that’s what I want. I picked up a Gen 2 Performer on Marketplace for $40. It was left behind at a rental unit and the landlord just wanted it gone. It is in need of some love to get it back to its namesake condition. The table was severely cracked from both sides but not broken in half. The interior needed a thorough cleaning and the gas assist was inoperable. I’m a cheapskate so I’m trying to get this rig going on the cheap too. I’ve also decided this will be a good project to do with my 13yr old son to get him off the game controller a bit.

First thing I did was try to clean out the bottom bowl. The grease and soot was severely caked. I eventually got my grinder and a brass wire wheel to go at it. I know, it’s overkill but the enamel held up very well. The ash bin and sweeps cleaned up well despite a bit of corrosion on the ash bucket handle. I ordered a new gas assist and igniter along with a stainless top grate. The grill has cleaned up nicely so far, but still determining what to do with the broken tabletop. So that leaves me where I am today and what I’ve tried to do so far.

As I mentioned, the table was severely cracked, but is still in one piece. Because I’m a cheapskate I’m going to try to fix it before I resort to building a wood table (carpentry skills are very mediocre). I picked up some JB Weld marine epoxy at the store. I then use d a triangular file to gouge out the cracks to give the epoxy a better bite. Mixed and filled the cracks on top and bottom of the table. The top side was then sanded down so I can prep for paint. This is where I currently sit, as the epoxy has set up for almost 2 days now. It feels pretty solid so far.

IMG_0693.jpegIMG_0694.jpegIMG_0698.jpegIMG_0699.jpegIMG_0700.jpeg

Last edited:
A few other mods I would like to do is upgrade the wheels and add a thermometer. I’ve got an old garden cart in the shed that sees very little action, so we will borrow the pneumatic wheels off it and buy some 5/8 bar stock. Hopefully my son and I can get these added this weekend. I have also procured a thermometer from my Camp Chef Smokevault gas smoker. (Did I mention I was a cheapskate). This should get me up and running for now. My biggest concern though is that I’d like to have a handle of some sort to move the cart around. I don’t want to break the table again. I can understand now why they all break like they do.
IMG_0701.jpeg

I also removed the stickers from the front stainless panel and hit it with some scotch bright pads. Looking better.
IMG_0696.jpeg

This is the grill that has inspired my build. Really love the look.
IMG_0688.jpeg

Go to weber.com register that grill as it has a 15 year warranty.
If you are out of warranty Weber may cut you a deal , they only make and sell the metal tables now.

Painted yesterday and letting it cure a few days. It's not perfect but is functional. My biggest concern is there is a lack of handle to lift/move the grill around. It will help once I get the new wheels mounted up this weekend, but I am leaning towards making a wood table afterall. I've got a nice bar handle from a rolling toolbox I could utilize, but it would require a solid structure to mount it to , otherwise i'd be right back in the same boat i am in now.

That is how most of those tables get cracked or broken.
I had a older(wish I never sold it) 2012 performer and I picked it up buy the table front edge like I has a hundred times before only it was cold out and the table cracked about 4 or 5 inches in from one corner.
I read on here about Weber warranty I look on my manual and there it was, so registered it then called eber Customer Service, it was 10 years old at the time and they covered it I think I had to pay shipping but I added a new set of charcoal bikes and they waved the shipping.

Mine is also a 2012 unit, but doubt they would warranty it when i tell them i bought it secondhand on Marketplace from an Amish landlord and not from an authorized Weber dealer...lol. It would be nice to have the metal top but im not paying $150 for one.

A few crappy pics after work today. I also painted the propane bottle. I used a combination of Rustoleum textured finish along with their High Performance enamel paint. The surface is a little gritty and an unsure how well it will hold up. IMG_0702.jpegIMG_0703.jpegIMG_0704.jpeg

Looks good from here, mine is a 2011 and I wouldn't trade my plastic top for 2 metal lol. get a good cover and leave it in 1 spot if you can, they really are not meant to be 4 wheeling over a rough yard, sidewalk kings they are.

Hi Rob, looks like a nice, solid restore.
If you want to be able to pick it up by table without cracking it, what I would do if I was you is to add wood reinforcement near the table edge (on the bottom). You can glue it on with epoxy like JB weld. They do this type of reinforcements on fiberglass boats on stress areas.

Mine is also a 2012 unit, but doubt they would warranty it when i tell them i bought it secondhand on Marketplace from an Amish landlord and not from an authorized Weber dealer...lol. It would be nice to have the metal top but im not paying $150 for one.
1st or 2nd hand makes no difference it is the fact that registered it on there web site that counts.
Like I said even if the do not Warringty it they most times will give a loyal customer a discount on the part package you want to buy.
The table comes with a new wire and clip for the trash container. And new black screws and washers. Most people replace those with stainless steel screws and washers. Easy wipe off finish, you can grab it anywhere and move the grill without warning the table, plus it just looks way better.

Got the wheels all done today and assembled. Only thing left is to paint the axles, which is a quick easy deal. Overall I’m happy with the results.

IMG_0717.jpeg

I’ll have to look more into the warranty deal on the top. I also like the idea of a wood top. I’ve been watching for a cheap piece of butcher block that could be adapted. I think it would be easy to use a router to make some pockets to slide over the frame rails. That way I could also use my tool box handle on the end to move it around. Gonna run it like this for now though.

I just registered the grill. Looks like I’m SOL on the warranty though. The thermoplastic tables are only warrantied for 10 years. Mine is a 2012 unit. Oh well, worth a shot. Maybe I’ll still see if the can offer a discounted replacement.

I just registered the grill. Looks like I’m SOL on the warranty though. The thermoplastic tables are only warrantied for 10 years. Mine is a 2012 unit. Oh well, worth a shot. Maybe I’ll still see if the can offer a discounted replacement.
Your grill came out awesome looking. Too bad table is out out of warranty. Still worth a call to Weber because they usually find a way to help out. They know a happy customer will contract Weberitus.

Got the wheels all done today and assembled. Only thing left is to paint the axles, which is a quick easy deal. Overall I’m happy with the results.

View attachment 90371

I’ll have to look more into the warranty deal on the top. I also like the idea of a wood top. I’ve been watching for a cheap piece of butcher block that could be adapted. I think it would be easy to use a router to make some pockets to slide over the frame rails. That way I could also use my tool box handle on the end to move it around. Gonna run it like this for now though.
Looks good, enough, now get it dirty! Lol!

Back