Performer Lid / Handle Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Perry

TVWBB Member
Okay, so I'm really happy with my 1999 $15 Performer. I cleaned it up and it looks really nice.

99performer.jpg

However the handle on the lid is rusty and has some play to it so I'm worried that is will pop off some day. I called Weber hoping that it might be under warranty but they said no. They do have the lid in stock though in green for $50. The guy did say it was not the lime green lid from the Crate and Barrel Performer.

Does anyone have an suggestions to prolong the life of the weld holding the handle to the lid? I suppose I could drill a hole and bolt it on but I think that part of the lid may be compromised. I guess if I use a big enough washer on the underside that would help.

Thanks all!

Did Weber tell you if the green color they use on the current performer is the same as what they used in 1999?. As far as what to do with your current handle, what you suggested probably would be the easiest. If the green color they use now is the same or close to the same, I probably would buy a new one.

Wayne

Here's a photo of the rust...

rust1.jpg

As far as the lid color I bet it is not the same green. The photos I see on the net look darker than the green on my performer.

Saturday I cooked some burgers and brats with my brother-in-law. We were like kids with a new toy! That Performer is quite the grilling machine!

The red Performer that I just got and fixed up had some rust like that under the handle but I just sanded it down the best I could and put some high temp paint on it. My handle is not loose though. I'm just going to use it like it is and I'm sure it will still outlast me.

Wayne

Doug I have a OTG 22.5 that has that much rust where the handle attaches,but it's just surface rust so far. I plan on cleaning it up and applying some paint to it this summer.

The green that you have is what Crate and Barrel Weber grills look like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:
Doug I have a OTG 22.5 that has that much rust where the handle attaches,but it's just surface rust so far. I plan on cleaning it up and applying some paint to it this summer.

The green that you have is what Crate and Barrel Weber grills look like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting about the color. I guess since this grill is 10 years old I would never get a perfect match with a new lid anyway.

I'll clean up the rust and see what happens. I can't wait to fire this thing up again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back