Performer Igniter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ignitor went south last year about the time I bought a Weber Chimney Starter and to be honest I haven't missed the ease of the ignitor. It's a whole lot more exciting using the chimney, especially at night. Use a welder's glove though as I have no more nuckle hair from dumping it in the kettle. Just kidding, it grew back.

Originally posted by Evan:
Anthony,
do not let this be the deciding factor between an OTG and a performer... the required maintainence is absolutely minimal...
just my $.02...
Yes and Yes. Man up!

Glad to see your on the road to recovery Davo. I wish they could have pinpointed the problem though, instead of throwing
parts at it. I suppose it doesn't matter in the long run though....happy grilling
icon_smile.gif

This afternoon I got my Performer repaired by the Weber service guy who came over with a brand new gas starter kit.

In just over 10 minutes,we had a great flame, started first time.

The original set up had a rubber hose that was connected to the gas regulator but this new one has a braided metal liner surrounding the rubber hose, nice touch!!

So from the time I first called up, till now with the repairs completed including 2 visits from the The Weber Repairman, it took around 2 weeks all up. I'm pretty happy about that.

Thankyou Weber!!

Hey Davo

Interesting regarding the change of hose. A metal braid indicates that the hose is manufactured from PTFE (Teflon) or Metal, a rubber outer indicates that it is manufactured from Synthetic Rubber. Did you get to keep the old hose, if so try blowing through it.

A few owners have posted stating that their charcoal bins melted - mmm... wondering ....
I will do some checking.

Regards

Yeah Phil,
I did get to keep the old hose & regulator so when I get a chance, I'll give it a good blow-out and clean-up and keep it for a spare.

As for the melting charcoal bins,I always have the coals on the opposite side to where the bin is so the hottest part is on the outer end and not the table end. If I'm doing a roast where it requires 2 fires, one on each side, then i'll put the coals to each side rather than end to end. I did read some complaining about the bin melting but I never experienced it yet...maybe I'm not cooking hot enough yet LOL.

Looks like it will be a scorching summer this year and plenty of bushfires and total fire-bans..this is not good for the charcoal BBQ-er.Today it's 35C here in Sydney and it's only mid spring....phew!!

Cheers

Davo

Davo,
Thanks for the weather tip, I will be up Sydney way Monday evening, I have to conduct some training out at Holsworthy on Tuesday then fly up to Townsville and do it again up there on the Wednesday, Thursday and then down to Oakey for Friday before flying back home - no BBQ for a week - withdrawal symptoms already

When you blow through the hose, do it in the direction of flow and with a low pressure (3-5 psi) first of all as you want to simulate gas flow. Then gradually increase the pressure to about 15 PSI.

Regards

Its so easy using the Weber chimney starter along with the Weber starter cubes that I don't think I'm missing out on not having a performer. Granted, I would like to have one for the table and charcoal storage but its not worth $300 to me to buy a new one and you cannot find used ones around here. Believe me, I've looked and I check craigslist everyday.

Wayne

Wayne
I understand your sentiments regarding the performer, however from a proud oweners perspective I am glad I have one. The 300 bucks in the USA is 400 in Australia and is worth it to have the best. Apart from the table and the storage bin there are many other features that the OTS or OTG does not have. The cost is only temporary, 10 years later you still have the best.

Regards

I agree with Phil. The Performer does cost a lot. However, the gas ignition, huge work table and ash disposal make it more convenient to use and faster to get started. I find that I want to grill more now that much of the hassle is taken away.

Agreed. The Performer just makes it so easy. Plus, I have a 3.5 year old and not having to worry about where I place a hot chimney after usage is one less thing to worry about.

I agree that $300 is a little steep. After I got my Performer though, I found myself using it alot more than I did the OTG. Aside from reasons already mentioned, the built in thermometer on the lid is a nice touch. I didn't buy mine full price though which is why I enjoy it even more. After months of watching CL, I finally got a 2 year old Performer in great condition for $100. Just $45 more than I sold my OTG for a few days later.

Hi Folks,

When it's all said & done, the Performer is a Weber Kettle and will do exactly the same as the the Silver & Gold with the same excellence in Grilling,BBQing & Roasting however the beauty of the Performer is the Gas starting facility which is very convenient (although i did have some recent problems that have now been rectified under warranty), has a great working table on a very sturdy steel trolly and because of this trolley, the Performer sits up a lot higher than an ordinary Kettle and is easier on the back.
I beleive the Performer is worth every cent and if you look after it,you'll still be cooking on it in 20-30 yrs from now...have I convinced you yet?
Yeah it isn't cheap but nothing good is ever cheap but i reckon if you make the investment of a Performer, you won't look back.
Go on....go out and buy one..you know you want to
icon_wink.gif

I was lucky, I found my brand new Performer for 200$, I know some of you guys got a better deal
but I just could not wait and I'm happy as h....igniter, bin, table, temperature...

I just bought this in May as BBQ season opens here in Canada and it seems my last propane bottle did not last very long, also the last few cooks I had to hit the igniter button more than twice to get her going. This will be my third bottle since May, I do maybe one cook a week and never let in run for more than 5-6 minutes.

Wondering if any of you guys have experienced this, will install the new bottle and write down how many starts
I get out of it.

Thanks
Anthony

Anthony, How long are you running the propane lighter for?

It should only be used for about 10 max then turn off and let the coals sort themselves out.
The Gas lighter is only there as an alternative to the liquid or firestart cubes so only need to be run for about five to ten minutes otherwise you'll be wasting gas.

On saying this, I must say I'm not a big fan on those little propane screw-on cans and would much rather a larger tank with a standard and seperate fitting rather than screwing the propane can onto the regulator.
A standard fitting i"m referring to is something like you would use with a 20 Ib gas tank.Those little propane cans might be good for micro camping but not great for domestic use.This however is my opinion.

Hi Dave, I only run it for about 5 minutes but I'm thinking once I might have let her burn too
long, maybe too many frosties with my guests
and not paying attention. Will be writing things down with my new bottle.

I do have a 20lb tank sitting in the basement
but not sure what is needed to get it hooked up.
Anybody that has done that please chime in.

Thanks
Anthony

Anthony, first of all, I hope that's an empty 20# tank that's in your basement. I don't even store my tanks in the garage, I have them sitting outside. Just not the kind of risk I'm willing to take.

As for connecting a 20# tank to the Performer, yes it can be done. You have to get a part from Weber in order to do it. I think a couple of people on these boards have done it. Good job on scoring a new Performer for $200. I lived up there for a couple of years, and things do tend to be more expensive north of the border.

Not to worry JP, the 20lb is enmpty, yes things
are more expensive here but housing and the cost
of living are cheaper, plus free medical so I guess it all balances out, when I can I order stuff from the US.

How many cooks should I get out of one bottle if its run no longer than 5 minutes.

Anthony

Originally posted by Wayne Dimirsky:
Its so easy using the Weber chimney starter along with the Weber starter cubes that I don't think I'm missing out on not having a performer. Granted, I would like to have one for the table and charcoal storage but its not worth $300 to me to buy a new one and you cannot find used ones around here. Believe me, I've looked and I check craigslist everyday.

Wayne
You might want to keep your eye out for a Weber One-Touch Platinum. It is simular to the Performer as it has the table, the ash disposal and the lid holder. What it does not have is the gas igniton and the charcoal bin. Of course, with the Platinum you get the fun of starting the fuel with a chimney and you do not have to worry about the charcoal bin melting.
icon_wink.gif

I found one on Craigs list for $60 bucks IIRC and I have loved it ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back