Performer Deluxe Propane leak?

Pete TX

TVWBB Member
Scored a Performer Deluxe with the gas assist. Among trouble shooting some areas, I discovered when attaching a new small propane tank it would sound like it's opened already. Faulty tank or bad knob for regulating the gas?? Any help is much appreciated.

I have heard of the knobs going bad, although the stories I heard were that it was stuck closed. I'll take a look at mine tomorrow, but I bet you could take it apart and see what's going on.

In the meantime, spray all of the fittings and connections down with soapy water and see if you can find the leak. My guess is the valve is stuck OPEN, and if you put a match or grill lighter to the gas assist it will light right up.

I know I'm stating the obvious but you do have the valve turned off before you hook up the gas?
If so, the valve is part of the regulator and that can go bad.
How old is it? It might be under warranty.

my performer after years of service started slow draining tanks, had to make sure the valve was closed tight

Scored a Performer Deluxe with the gas assist. Among trouble shooting some areas, I discovered when attaching a new small propane tank it would sound like it's opened already. Faulty tank or bad knob for regulating the gas?? Any help is much appreciated.
It could be for sure the knob on my Performer which I bought used it would hardly turn on or off kept spinning unless your really gripped it tight. You don't need to turn it that much for off and on by the way. Turns out and I found the fix on the Web was that after years of use the knob starts to slip on the brass stem people turning it to much both ways it was an easy fix.

If I remember I dropped the regulator with the knob so I could get a screwdriver behind it to pop the knob off which came off pretty easy. I then used Gorilla Clear Grip contact adhesive put some inside the knob and some on the shaft don't go crazy going down the shaft to much you let the grip setup inside the knob and shaft for a few minutes then push the knob back on to the shaft, let it sit a day before turning it.

Obviously you don't want the tank connected so all your propane is gone since the valve may be open.

Pete if you wish before you try the glue trick to see if its the knob spinning wrap the knob with tape or cloth to protect it. Take a pair of pliers and squeeze the knob against the shaft turn off gently this is not like a propane tank on a gasser where you tend to turn that knob off really tight there is no need. You should feel the resistance turning it off, then again with the pliers turn it on if I remember on my gas assist a half turn open is more than enough fire it up again not like a propane tank for a gasser where you need a few turns to open it fully. Then repeat and turn it off if that works the knob is slipping and the glue fix will work.

Back