Performer char baskets?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
Just bought a new performer and was curious to hear from other owners if you use the char baskets, seems to me it would be better (for grilling meats anyway) to use a chimney starter over the gas burner to light, then pour the coals out and create a 2 or 3 zone bed, seems that when the baskets are full the charcoal is kind of high for direct cooking. Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Eric

Put my new Performer together 2 weeks ago, used the Char Baskets twice then switched to my chimney starter. I can see that there will be occasions that the baskets will come in handy, but for everyday cooks it will be my chimney.

Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
Just bought a new performer and was curious to hear from other owners if you use the char baskets, seems to me it would be better (for grilling meats anyway) to use a chimney starter over the gas burner to light, then pour the coals out and create a 2 or 3 zone bed, seems that when the baskets are full the charcoal is kind of high for direct cooking. Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Eric

Have my Performer for a number of years. I've always done what you mention above. I think I've only used the baskets a couple times. Even for rotisserie cooks I just dump to one or both sides from the chimney. I have a charcoal rake I use for moving stuff around.

But then I pretty much use 100% lump, I've only used the baskets with briquettes which I hardly ever use.

I only use 'em when doing ribs/roasts. Nice containment of the coals on either side of the grill with the meat in the middle.

I always use a chimney starter over the gas burner to light the coals. But then I use the charcoal baskets to organize the coals for indirect grilling. I'll put them on opposite sides with a drip pan for roasts and rotisserie cooking. Other times I'll just use them as Charcoal rails and put the briquettes outside the basket so that the baskets hold them in place. I'll do this usually when I'm making Bratwurst in a beer/onion bath. This gives me space for the brats in the chafing dish and plenty of grill space to brown and finish them.

Bill

I usually cook for 2 so when grilling I just push the baskets to each side and pour the charcoal in the middle and light with gas assist, that way I'm not using too much lump, and when indirect I use lump in the baskets pushed to each side. For some reason I seem to like my bottom vent 3/4 or 1/2 closed also, probably to keep the temp from getting too hot.
We mostly do fish and chicken..

Anthony

Originally posted by Anthony W.:
I usually cook for 2 so when grilling I just push the baskets to each side and pour the charcoal in the middle and light with gas assist, that way I'm not using too much lump, and when indirect I use lump in the baskets pushed to each side. For some reason I seem to like my bottom vent 3/4 or 1/2 closed also, probably to keep the temp from getting too hot.
We mostly do fish and chicken..

Anthony

Same here as far as the vents with lump. Wide open you can really jack the heat with lump vs briquettes in my experience. Wide open you can peg the therm pretty easily.

It looks like I may be in the minority here, but I use the baskets every time I cook. I normally only cook for two, so the cooking space is fine. Also, unless you have a 2nd charcoal grate, the lump falls through too much for my liking.

Back