Perfection!! but has this happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
Well I put on a brisket (on bottom) and two butts (on top) last night at 11:30 PM. The WSM worked flawlessly, as usual, and the temp stabilized at 12:30 AM at 226 degrees (grate temp). I use a Maverick and set the alarm to go off if the temp went outside of 205 - 240. At 3:30 AM the alarm went off and the temp was 204. I went out and opened the vents a bit and at 4:00 AM went back to bed with the temp stable at 225. Well, at about 7:00 AM I woke up and thought that it was a little too quite. I looked over at the Maverick and saw nothing but straight lines!! I lost my signal! That's never happened before and has shaken my confidence in the Maverick. Luckily the WSM performed perfectly and the temp out side on the transmitter was 222.

My bedroom is about 20 ft away from where the smoker is and the unit has performed perfectly since I reset it this morning at 7:00 AM. Has this happened to anyone with a Maverick? The batteries were fine and it wasn't raining our anything. I'm a little worried about using it in the future if this kind of thing happens very often.

The good news is, I just took the brisket off about an hour ago and it's the best one I've done yet!! Falling apart and bursting with juice! You need a really sharp knife to cut this thing. Pork butt should be done in the next couple of hours just in time for the game!

Reminds me of last week! 2 butts and a brisket cooked to perfection. As far as the Maverick goes, I have never experienced that problem before. Hopefully it was a one time glitch.

Jim, was the brisket a flat or whole? What was the internal temp when you finished?

When's dinner? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I had the same problem with my maverick at about 5 a.m. on superbowl morning. As it was the very first time I had used my spanking new WSM (it had just arrived on jan 31)---and the maverick, too (arrived on jan 30)--I thought maybe the batteries it came with had gone dead or something. But when I checked it at 6 a.m., it was perfectly fine (tho had failed to alert me that my temp had fallen below my lower limit). Maybe I had turned it off accidentally at 5 when I was mashing all the buttons?

Still, what a cool device.

As for my first cook---an 8.5 lb brisket and some ribs, everyone seemed to enjoy them. I was too tired to appreciate them, I think! Beautiful smoke rings tho. Looking forward to the leftovers today.

I've used my Maverick probably 30 or more times and
it has only lost its signal once - and that was when
I took it inside the neighbor's house.
I thought it may have had something to do with
the batteries wearing down at the time because it worked for a while (I've still never changed the batteries since I bought it!) but I'm sure it was the distance from the transmitter.

Although I love the design of the ET-73 I've also had some issues with signal loss. Mine is flakey at best and there are times I must be within TWO feet of the transmitter to receive a signal. I called Maverick and was told it either works or it doesn't. The tech wasn't mean, just a tad bit abrupt and not terribly friendly.

Best I can gather from reading posts on these forums is that some work better than others. If someone came out with a heavy-duty model that cost twice as much I'd gladly pay it!

Well, hopefully this is not going to happen too often. As I said in the original post, it's lucky for me that the WSM performed flawlessly. I can, at least, have confidence in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back