Perfecting my hot wings

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've made hot & terriyaki wings several times in the last month or so and I'm getting pretty good at it if I do say so myself
icon_wink.gif

Today's batch cooked indirect the entire time on my OTP for 45 minutes, started @ 400F & ended at 450F. I used a handful of cherry chips directly on the coals, & mixed in Franks Red Hot Wings 'Hot Buffalo' (hotter), with a 1/2 tsp xantham gum & ~2 tbsp hot pepper flakes mixed in.

The only thing I'm not happy (thrilled) with is the xantham gum seems to work best with both the Franks & Terriyaki (only 2 sauces I've tried it with so far) when simmered, not so well mixed in cold (tends to clump).

I'll set up a picasa account one of these daze - I took a pic of my nice nekked crispy wings on the grill but only one.

The next thing I intend to work on is my capacity, I think I have that covered - Lampe or someone else posted how to use the charcoal rails to hold one grate above another... I expect that to work grate!

I should include the wings I use - I've been getting them from Harmons (a grocery store in Salt Lake City, UT), you can either buy the drumette or wingette, in packs of 8, 10, or 16 (how they usually come). They're fresh & sold for $2.99/lb.

Gonna grill for 35 - 40 people on Saturday. Mainly burgers and dogs and some sausages.
Think I might make some wings also.

To get the xanthan gum to disperse and be clump free in any liquid, mix the gum into a small amount of cooking oil then slowly add that slurry to the liquid.

You can also mix the gum into salt or sugar and add it to your liquid that way, but you may still have a small amount of lumping depending on thoroughness of your mixing.

it was easiest & most effective (effortless to get my desired result) the first time I used it --- i just heated the sauce in a sauce pan, added the pepper flakes & xantham gum, & stirred it a little.

Every time I've tried it cold it's clumped up or gotten way too goopy (gelled the sauce). Hot it is for me.

I have a small mixer and always run my xanthan thickened sauce through that.

another tip I've read but have not tried, is to put the xanthan gum in a shaker and dust it into the sauce as you whisk.

on a side note, users of Butcher's injections might be interested to know that xanthan is listed as an ingredient, and is the likely reason why Butcher's is so thick. I started adding xanthan to my own injections and have produce similar results.

Xanthan Gum thickens regardless of temperature. That's why you're getting lumps when you add it cold liquid without disspersing it in something else first.

The real question is how you got it to be lump free the fitrst time you used it.

Did you have starch in the sauce you said that you added it too when it was hot and it thickened?

I use xanthan quite often, mostly for cold or room temp items like dressings. I use a fine shaker while whisking. If making some creamy I use a handblender

There's a liquid thickener called Simply Thick designed for people that aspirate on thin liquids. I like it better than the gum because it never clumps with cold liquids. Many local drug stores will carry it or it can be purchased online.

Back