Peppery Beef Jerky

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I got the new Smoke cookbook from Weber and as I thumbed through I saw a recipe for Peppery Beef Jerky I just had to try.

I bought a 2.4# eye of round roast sliced it thin, marinaded the slices in soy and honey, and rubbed with a cracked black, pink, and white peppercorn mixture. I placed them in the WSM with a half a lit chimney spread over another half unlit chimney and am trying to go extremely low (175*). Initially, I had trouble getting it to settle below the 190(s). I closed the top vent down to about 1/2 and it worked well. The meat didn't pick up the salty soy or sweet honey in the marinade as well as I'd have liked but it is still pretty good.

Before:

IMG_0654.jpg

After:

IMG_0656.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The meat didn't pick up the salty soy or sweet honey in the marinade as well as I'd have liked </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sure looks great.

How long did you marinate it?

The recipe called for 1 to 2 hours. I was pressed for time yewsterday to go to the local race track to watch the Southern All Star race. I think I need to let it sit overnight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I need to let it sit overnight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You think good! nevertheless looks good.

I went for 5.5 hours. The recipe called for 6 to 7 hours at 175*. I had trouble at first getting so low. I finally got it low and had to leave for the races so I pulled it off.

Back