Pepper Stout Beef Question

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to start this post by first telling everyone that I'm free game to attack here...

My wife & I are building a house and our current home sold very quickly (thank God) but we're now living in an apartment for 6-months. I wanted to cook the Larry's Pepper Stout Beef for a work function but unfortunately will not have time to convince my apartment complex that I should be able to use my smoker. So..... I need to cook this in the oven and/or crock pot. I know, I know, it's blasphemy and I'm a disgrace to all humankind but it's what needs to happen. Any suggestions (besides move out)... I need useful suggestions! Thanks all.

-Eric

Pretty much follow the basic time and temperature instructions for the oven or you can cook uncovered in a pan for the first part to get your bark then finish in your crock pot. You can add some liquid smoke for that "authentic" BBQ flavour.

Would you be able to use the smoker at work? I used to use mine at work. Never hurts to ask.......

I've made this for a work lunch at home the day before. I made it in my oven and then finished in the slow cooker. It was still very tasty

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see how it goes. Bob, unfortunately I won't be able to bring the smoker to work as I'm on the 7th floor of a 14 floor bldg!

Season it with some S&P and slowly brown it in a Cast iron skillet about 10-15 mins a side. Deglaze the skillet with some stock or beer and add that to the pan or crock pot.

Tim

Do you have access to a grill at all? You could always sear the chuck on the grill with some wood chips. That could even be done in advance, I imagine. Then use the oven/slow cooker to finish.

I almost always finish my pepper stout in the oven, it will taste great. I think the key is cooking it hot enough to evaporate the liquid, not sure a crock pot will do that though.

Well I didn't get home until 9:00 tonight so I rubbed the roast with some mustard, S&P'd it & then seared it on the stovetop before throwing it on top of a bed of onions, Green pepper, red pepper, garlic & jalapeño in the crock pot, then put in a bottle of Guinness & Worcester sauce.

Today my boss told his boss hoe great my BBQ is so I'm a little nervous about this meal but we'll see how it goes. Thanks guys!

Your smoker is only an oven with smoke in it. You'll be fine.

Of course, you don't get to play with fire. :D

Well it turned out pretty good, but not as good as when I smoke it! Since it was in the crock pot all night, i put it in the oven at 400 while I was getting ready for work. There was still too much liquid but it still turned out great. The only problem now is that I want to do a "real" one!!

Back