Penzey's Taste Test

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
Erin and I went out to Pittsburgh over the weekend to watch a Penguins game. In addition to getting to see Malkin's Hat Trick in person, we also finally made it to the Penzey's store during business hours.

31871c5c.jpg

The trip to Penzey's wasn't much less expensive than a ticket to an NHL game, but we left with a nice assortment. We tried Aleppo peppers on pizza last night and they were very good, but tonight was all about pork chops. One rubbed with Northwoods Fire and the other with Penzey's Adobo and (McCormick) smoked salt.

e7f5b74c.jpg

The overexposed white things in the back are grit cakes, left over from my Throwdown cook. Speaking of which, there's still plenty of time to enter so cook some poultry!

After the flip.

1228d74d.jpg

And plated. We split both chops for comparison purposes.

af1a62fc.jpg

I went a little light on the Northwoods Fire, but that's easy to remedy next time. The Adobo makes me want to slap the manufacturers of all other Adobos that I've tried. It's hard to call a winner here.... but I think it was me! I can understand why Penzey's has such a following around here.

Thanks for looking!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can understand why Penzey's has such a following around here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Their spices just seem that much better and flavorful than others I've tried. Glad you're hooked too. I don't use many pre-made rubs or spice mixes, but their chili powder is great too.

Excellent Jon!
Yes, penzey's adobo is headANDshoulders WAYabove all the others... and the BEST part about it... it's saltfree!
And you CANNOT tell by tastin' it! It's THAT good!
BTW Jon, i'd love to taste those chops!!

Chops look great, and Penzey's has great stuff!

No local retail store here... yet. There's always mail order until we have one.
icon_cool.gif

Some great looking chops Jon! I was just telling my wife yesterday how I really need to place an order with Penzey's. Still haven't tried their spices but I'm going to try to remedy that soon.

Back