Penzey's Help

Robert T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I have seen many of you rave on here about Penzey's but I have never ordered from them. I just learned that they have a store about 10 miles from me and I may go visit since I am off this week. Here's the question. Their website is a little overwhelming so what are your favorite things from there? Anything in particular I should look for? Anything they do better than others?

Thanks,

Buckeye Bob

Robert,

I have heard and tasted many great things about penzy's. I really need to get myself to the one in Naperville since I work in the same town, but never venture over there.

The cinnamon is phenominal. If you do any baking with cinnamon or use it in a sauce it is well worth it. They have different grades of it and even the lowest is better than what you get at the grocers and the highest is well, phenominal.

Alepo Pepper is very popular here and around with those who love a bit of nice spice in there dishes. Its a great pepper to dash on top of a bowl of chili, pizza, well there's not much I wouldn't like it on.

People say the black pepper is special, I have to try this for myself still, but its what I hear.

I'll leave some reports from others with more knowledge on the subject.

Good luck,
Josh

Bob, I am not a long time user but I am sold on Penzeys. You may find some bulk products cheaper at the club stores...I doubt you'll find better.
The spices are a great value when you consider quality. Their spices seem to be on steroids! Fresh and robust!

Bob,
I make all of my own rubs and buy the ingredients at Penzeys.
I love love love the Spanish Smoked Paprika, the chipotle powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Albanian rubbed sage, etc...
It's also reasonably priced, especially if you buy it in the bigger bags instead of the small bottles.
Also, the Chicago steak seasoning is good.

Robert,
The one thing that turned me on to Penzey's is the free smells.
Walk into the the store, open a jar, take a sniff, and get a serious rush.
Not something you can do at a super market.
I'm planning on hitting the Naperville store this week.
I'll post back on this thread if I see any deals.
HTH
Tim

If it's the same type of store that I have by me, they will have jars containing just about everything that they sell. You will be able to open these rubber stopered jars to smell the spices that they contain. I would give yourself at least an hour to browse and sniff. You'll then be able to buy pretty much any amount you want from about 1.2 oz's up. It's really alot of fun specially if you go with someone else. My favorites for now are........white pepper, black pepper, chinese cinnimon, bay leaf, chipotle chile powder, hungarian sweet paprika and variose dried chile peppers. All good stuff--Enjoy!

With wine, you can rinse out your mouth and take a bite of bread to refresh your palate, but I wish I knew how to refresh my nose after sniffing only a few herbs or spices. Go outside and take a few deep breaths?

Jack drove me to the Penzey's store in Memphis, saw what was happening in there, and said he'd be back in 2 hours to pick me up. I was like a kid in a candy shop.

No sign of a store in Atlanta.
icon_frown.gif

Rita

Thanks to all for your help. I went yesterday to the Naperville location. What a great store. It was as discussed where they had the stopper jars full to smell what you were buying. I loaded up on a number of things suggested by you all and I look forward to trying them. Thanks again.

Buckeye Bob

Oh, and for those of you curious, here is what I bought:

Smoked and Sweet Paprika
Tellicherry Peppercorns
Cayenne Pepper
Bay Leaves
Chinese and Konitje Cassia Cinnamon
Garden Salad Seasoning
Florida Seasoned Pepper
Ancho and Medium Hot Chili Pepper
Double Strength Vanilla
Epazote - For my Mexican dishes
Aleppo Pepper
Allspice for an upcoming Jerk chicken cook

And jars to hold most of them as I bought a lot of them in the cellophane bags as it was much cheaper. What a great place. I will also look to buy other things there as I need them. It's only 15 minutes or so away from me.

Buckeye Bob

On your next vist, make sure to pick up some white pepper corns.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Their freeze dried chives are very good as well. I toss a TBS or 2 into scrambled eggs.

I used to live about a block from their Oak Park, IL store. I really like their ground spices, actaully all of the stuff is good. I usually make my own rubs and mixes but I love their sandwich sprinkle.

Back