Pecan Wood - Help Finding

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm in Florida this week. In Michigan, there are no Pecan trees, but I realized on my drive down here that there are pecan trees in the south. I'm in the Destin area. I took I-65 down here. Does anyone know where I can get some pecan wood in this area or somewhere in the south near I-65? I know I can get some send to my house (internet/mail order), but I'm really not one who likes to pay for shipping. I was hoping I could get some wood while I'm down here. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry, I'm 20 miles east of I-75, Hawkinsville Ga. I know where there is a pecan tree that blew down a few weeks ago, and pretty sure the ownwer will let me cut some of it. I can cut it and have it waiting for you. It's a bit off your I-65 route, but if you want to come by Hawkinsville let me know.

If you're in Destin, see if there is an Academey Sports in Ft Walton, I know there's one in Pensacola which is probably 40 miles from Destin. They usually have pecan logs and you can cut your own chunks.

Paul

Paul,
It just so happens that my brother (who I'm down here visiting) is working in Pensacola. I'll have him get some for me after work. Thanks.

Al,
Thanks for the offer. That is the best way to get wood, however, it's a little too far from the way I'm going home.

Jerry

There's all kinds of pecan trees therefore pecan wood in Waycross (south Georgia); it's located about 30 miles north of the Florida border.

You can go to any local wal mart and buy pecan. Their real flavor hickory is really pecan if the manufacturer listed on back of the bag is WW Wood. If WW Wood is not listed as manufacturer then it is real hickory..most people cant tell the difference

My brother is on his way, if he didn't get any at Academey Sports, I'll check out the local wal-mart. Thanks.

I myself can distinguish the aroma of real hickory from real pecan wood. And, hickory wood has a redder or browner appearance than pecan wood.

Back