Pecan wood citric turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Jordan

TVWBB Super Fan
Finally found some pecan wood in Birmingham, AL. Really good poultry wood.

For the turkey, I got an apple juice can which was too big. (I will use a Foster's beer can next time.) Left it half full of apple juice. Added quartered up lemon, lime, and orange; salt and cracked pepper.

Rubbed the bird down with a cheap poultry rub from Sam's. Cooked to 160-163 deg in the breast.

Best bird ever! Even the teenagers and in-laws loved it.

I saw the poultry rub at Sam's Club and wondered if it was any good. Thanks for the input, I think I'll pick some up next time.

Sonny,

Where'd you get the Pecan? Do they have any others? I have been having to mail order woods, and if I could find a local outlet it would be great. Thanks!!!

Academy Sports should have 40+ lb. bags of hickory, pecan, and mesquite-- small logs, unfortunately-- that you can chop up yourself. At about $10 a bag, the price is right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pat Trammell:
[qb] Sonny,

Where'd you get the Pecan? Do they have any others? I have been having to mail order woods, and if I could find a local outlet it would be great. Thanks!!! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Pat, do you ever get to Guntersville or Huntsville? I can give you enough pecan to keep you smoking for quite a while!

Mr P's off Alford's exit between Vestavia and Lakeshore on the southern side of Bham has pecan, peach, even olive branch wood. I also got some lump charcoal just for fun.

Thanks Sonny & Jim! I'll try them out! Hope to see you both at maybe some competitions in our neck of the woods. Let's keep in touch!

...Sonny...

I thought about smoking a turkey this week and was wondering how big was your bird? I saved a V8 juice can to use with my 21 pound turkey. Do you think that's going to be too big?

I have never used brine on a turkey... I just wash-um, dry-um, rub-um and smoked um.. Did you brine your bird and if so... what did you use?

Thanks for the information ...

CHEERS!!!

Bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hey Bill,

I only had a 12 pound bird. Took a little surgery, but the can did eventually fit. Your 21 pounder should be ok. You might want a Foster's can on the side just in case.

I do like to brine it, but ran out of time. I will be getting one of those injection thingies next time I cook a turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back