Pecan Chunks Mold?

Robert W

TVWBB Fan
I have a bag of pecan chunks in the garage. I was going to use for my last smoke, but when I took some out of the bag, I noticed most of the pieces were covered in white specks and a white powder substance. I'm thinking it is mold? Has anyone seen this before? Is it mold? If so, I guess I'll trash it (only cost $5 for the bag).

Bob W.

If mold can grow on wood and (for reasons I'll soon explain) cadavers, it can certainly take root inside of you and proliferate. Many medical students prior to the introduction of antibiotics died from mold infection. Get rid of the moldy stuff.

I've got to agree. Dump that wood. Those mold spores will certainly disperse inside the WSM and I doubt that the surface of the meat is hot enough to kill the spores on contact. It's just a problem better left avoided.

On a related note, I loves me some fruitwood. I picked up some peach (!) from a Burien butcher a few weeks ago. I finally opened it up last week and found the 25 pound bag was infested with some kind of exotic insect - either a beetle or some kind of termite. I removed the bag from my garage and put some chunks in water to soak. I figure even if the bugs don't drown, they'll die in the heat long before they touch my meat. Whatever insect byproducts get burned ~shouldn't~ pose a significant hazard.

Back