Peach Wood

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I remember watching the "big pig jig" on the food network and one of the competitors, (I believe it was Jack's old south) said his secret is that he uses peach wood on his BBQ. My question is: Has anyone ever used peach wood? What were the results? Where would someone buy peach wood?

We LOVE peach wood, both on the stick-burner and in chunks on the WSM. I've personally never seen it for sale as smoke wood, as such. The best bet is to go through your telephone book, find an orchard, and get friendly with them. You'd be amazed what a slab or two of ribs will get ya. We have full access to the woodpiles at an orchard about 20 miles from us: peach and apple there, mainly.

Might give Arizona Apple Orchards Inc (Phoenix, AZ 85003 Phone 602-242-4541) a call. They might be able to point you in a direction of an orchard. The Douglas Apple Orchards in Elgin have peaches, pears and apples, but I'm not sure how far they would be from you. Also Apple Annie's Orchard in Wilcox. Check HERE - perhaps one will be near enough to you to make a visit. Seems that the orchards that offer a "pick-it-yourself" approach are more easily approachable about their trim piles, just in our experience.

Good luck!

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Peach wood finds it way into every cook I do. Unfortunately, I am about out of wood. There are several orchards within 30 miles of so. It would surprise me if an orchard owner would mind if you took from the trimmings.

Peach, cherry and either oak, pecan or hickory are my favorites.

Steve,

Where do you go around Charlotte to find peach wood? I know of Carrigan Farms up in Mooresville, but that's about it.

York SC. There are at least three orchards there. Just take 49 ( Tryon St. ) to York from Charlotte. Turn right on Hwy 5 go about 2 lights, turn right on Hwy 321. There are three orchards within the next 5 miles.

If you travel 85 south-there are a few at Gaffney SC.

This weekend would be a great time to make a trip but I have to head to Knoxville-maybe I can stop at an apple orchard on the way. Put a saw in the trunk.

If I have any luck at an orchard, I'll try to get some extra wood.

I believe I read somewhere that if the tree produces nuts or fruit it's good to cook with. So this is probably a silly question.
An orchard near me has pears, plums, apricots, apples, and peaches. The last three are obviously usable and tasty. What about the first two? Also, how good is black walnut? It seems like it would be bitter. I've got a bunch of that in my yard (new trees poppin up all the time).
Speaking of wood ... I was hunting morels on my neighbors land yesterday. Unfortunately I found no shrooms BUT I did find a nice sized wild cherry he had just cut down. Needless to say, I put my name on that wood. I love free stuff!

Rick

Karl K., I found a little peach and some apple.
I have about 30 pieces of wood 2-3 ft. long and about 1 1/2" thick. If you and someone else in the Charlotte area would like some, I could split it up three ways.

If I'm cooking for folks (and not for practice) I almost always use peach mixed with cherry. It's a wonderful flavor. 75% of the time I'll throw one big ol' hunk of hickory or some other 'smoky' wood in with it.

The other 25% of the time, I'll use apple with cherry.
icon_smile.gif

Take care and have a blast!

-brian

Steve,

Sorry, been traveling a bit this week so just now got your post. I'd love to have some of the peach and apple and I would imagine my brother who also lives here in town, would be interested as well. How'd you like to do this?

I had a friend just bring up some peach wood from Georgia. Can't wait to give it a try! I saw Keri's peach smoked ribs from the contest she was in a while back and now I'm totally stoked.

Back