Peach Wood

shervie

TVWBB Member
Anyone ever use it? Good, Bad? I notice a Peach Tree growing in a vacant lot near me. Looked like it needs pruning
icon_biggrin.gif

thats the one tree i've never used enough to say an honest answere, and yet there all around me but I feared using green, fresh wood. BUT, if its anything like apricot, one of my favorites, (i'm going to assume they gotta be close) then you'll be in for a treat. I always told my girl that I didn't know if it smelled better or tasted bette, i don't hear mention of either all to often, but I love apricot.

Peach is probably my favorite smoke wood to use. The problem is getting some good quality pieces. When I go to the orchard a lot of it that's been trimmed is rotten. So, when I can get it I love it. Definately trim that tree!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steevie Gresham:
I cut down 2 15 foot tall peach trees from my backyard last November. I'll be using it in a month or so..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steevie, I really hope you didn't store the peach wood outside? Bugs just love fruit wood, and if it was outside for the past year, you might have some punky wood. I hope not, for your sake. I never store fruit wood outside and never ever leave it sit on the ground. It will go bad in a very, very short time.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, what about if it was covered up in the winter, and on pallets? Still at risk?

It would be nice to see how it smells.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Bryan, what about if it was covered up in the winter, and on pallets? Still at risk?

It would be nice to see how it smells. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, The problem with any fruit wood, is it doesn't weather well. It doesn't hold up well to long term storeage outside. I had lost a couple hundred pounds of cherry wood that I got from a lanscaper in just 4 months. It was on concrete but outside. You'll know when fruit wood get on the punky side, it will get a marble look to it, verses the wood grain/splinters look that wood has. You'll see different marble looks/patters in the wood. You can use it, but you alsso feel how lite (in weight) the wood is getting. On that note, I have a limb of apple wood that has been kept in my garage for several years that is still just fine. I know this might be confusing but fruit wood does not hold up well at all kept outside. It breaks down very quickly.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Alot has to do with your climate as well.
On a side note, Oak will last many years kept outside, and off the ground, as well as hickory. I keep all my fruit wood inside these days.
icon_wink.gif

I bought a 40 pound bag of peach last year. Immediately upon opening, I found an infestation of cerambycid wood boring beetles. These were slow moving critters and NOT termites.

570.jpg

I parked the bag outside so they would disperse, which they indeed did. The wood did not deteriorate noticeably, and I have used it several times with no problems. In fact, I'm doing a whole turkey as we speak.

B & E Meats

I seem to recall I paid about $20. However, you can find plenty of free wood if you look around. Lots of times, it turns up on craigslist as u-haul, u-cut. I stocked up on fallen alder after the '06 Christmas storm - found it knocked down and dragged it on home.

ALSO:

Posted Mar 15, 7:21 PM Hide Post
I found a wood source that works even better for me! I just picked up 20 pounds each of alder, apple and cherry wood from Joy & Ed, a family wood mill near the Southcenter Mall. Cost: $0.50 per pound. I found their advertisement on Craigslist.

This stuff is PRIME! Dried, cleaned and debarked fist sized chunks! I'll be smokin' some fatties this weekend.

Joy assured me that they have other wood types available. You will have to arrange for pick up. If you're local, it's well worth it. Give them a call at 206.243.6542

Where is B E Meats? I'm probably just looking for bags of peach..not much storage, and have a buddy who gave me some alder as he cleared some land. I also like apple if you have a good source. Thanks! Thanks also for the info on the people near SC Mall..that could be good also!!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Grisham:
Where is B E Meats? I'm probably just looking for bags of peach..not much storage, and have a buddy who gave me some alder as he cleared some land. I also like apple if you have a good source. Thanks! Thanks also for the info on the people near SC Mall..that could be good also!!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on this: B & E Meats

Mike,

Golden Steer meets in Bellevue (15255 Bel Red Rd
) carries a nice selection of smoke wood - I've bought cherry, peach, pecan and apple there. Their selection varies throughout the year. Large 30-40lb bags run around $15-25 I think.

Back