Peach Wood from Fruita Wood Chunks

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Hello,

I just bought some Peach Wood Chunks from FRUITAWOODCHUNKS.COM due to many of the positive comments I've seen on this site and others.

A couple questions for people who have used these chunks before:

1) Some of the chunks had a black sticky substance on them. I initially thought maybe it was a bug but I tried to pull it off and it is stuck to the wood more or less. Is this normal? I'm guessing it is some type of sap.

2) I have heard some people say they use peach for pork. I also know that Myron Mixon uses it for everything. Is peach really strong enough on its own to use for a boston butt in your opinion? Am wanting to smoke a butt this weekend and am not sure whether to go with all peach or maybe mix it with hickory or pecan.

3) I assume the chunks are ready to use out of the box? I read in their instructions to let the chunks "breathe" 24 hours prior to storing and then to store refrigerated (which I have done). I am a little confused on the wood selection process as I have heard numerous people say that wood needs to be cut and dried out for 3 to 6 months prior to use. However, FRUITAWOODCHUNKS says they cut their wood chunks to order and that they need to be in the fridge to prevent them from drying out. Can anyone help me understand this?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan B

1) Some of the chunks had a black sticky substance on them. I initially thought maybe it was a bug but I tried to pull it off and it is stuck to the wood more or less. Is this normal? I'm guessing it is some type of sap.

Probably sap.

2) I have heard some people say they use peach for pork. I also know that Myron Mixon uses it for everything. Is peach really strong enough on its own to use for a boston butt in your opinion? Am wanting to smoke a butt this weekend and am not sure whether to go with all peach or maybe mix it with hickory or pecan.

It will be good on the butt. It is a nice mild sweet smoke. I used it this weekend on some ribs in the new mini and was surprised how fragrant the smoke smelled. I used just Fruitawood peach, not other chunks. It is so mild, I think any other woods might overpower it.

3) I assume the chunks are ready to use out of the box? I read in their instructions to let the chunks "breathe" 24 hours prior to storing and then to store refrigerated (which I have done). I am a little confused on the wood selection process as I have heard numerous people say that wood needs to be cut and dried out for 3 to 6 months prior to use. However, FRUITAWOODCHUNKS says they cut their wood chunks to order and that they need to be in the fridge to prevent them from drying out. Can anyone help me understand this?

Use mine right out of box. I don't refrigerate. Wood does need 3-6 months, but I don't know how you would know when they were cut. I suppose it could be cut when ordered. Might ask fruitawood.Chunks should dry faster than a larger stick of firewood.

I use have several species of wood for smoking, but the peach is really nice. I like it better than apple, and I cut my apple right off my apple tree.

Last edited:
Can't say for sure but I've heard that if you clack 2 together you can tell by the sound. If it's kinda a dull thunk then it's still on the green side but if it sounds more like a whack of a bat hitting a ball then it's dry.

2) on pork any fruit wood is probably good but I've become a convert of Myron on the peach for everything just need to find a consistant supply

I think by cut to order they mean they are cutting from a log when you order it, not cutting down the tree when you order it. I use their peach wood and love it. Goes great on a whole chicken. Yesterday I used it with meatloaf. I do venture to other woods, but this is my favorite and my wife's.

Back