PB Question

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
Anyone know how many bone out PB you can get on a standard WSM at a time? The PB are on sale and they say they average between 3.5-4lbs. I'm thinking you might put 4 on a grate, is that realistic? By the way, these are pre-trimmed (very close) and tied for $1.89lb this week.

If they're 3.5 to 4 lb, they've already been cut in half. Ask them if they still have the whole butts that come packaged 2-to-a-cryo (which will run, oh, 6.5 to 8 lb each, sometimes bigger, giving 12 to 16 lb per cryo), and I think you'll like them better.

WSM can seat four large butts comfortably, though you can get six on there if you pack them in. (Kinda like my 1970 Buick Electra 225 ragtop named Rita...
icon_wink.gif
) Personally, I think six starts constricting the air flow, so four is usually my max at any one time in one cooker.

They do have the butt in cryo pack, but I don't think I can get the equivalent sale price on them. I'll find out more when I get there. That's all I've ever cooked so far, bone in, but if I can get a bone out for the same price....

Bill,
The smaller cuts that are on sale are taken from the cryovac pacs and cut in half. Price per pound should be the same.

I have found that the price is lower when you get the butts in the cryo because there is no added labor. At least that how it is at the local Costco.

Al

I keep an eye on the grocery sale flyers now days for country or western ribs which are cut up pork butt. Most of the stores here will sell the whole butt for the same price. I picked up several in the spring for $.85/LBS. I haven't seen them at that price for a while now. The other big problem is that most stores sell them injected with salt solution. YUCK!

The good news is that my meat store, Harter House, has no injected meat. The bad news is they are a little pricey. The country ribs are on sale for $1 lb off also, but it's still $1.89 lb, same as the PB. The other stores in the area are all injected. Even the Walmart Super Center carries injected meat here. I've heard several people recommend the Super Centers on this site. So, I'll stock up, smoke some, freeze some and put the Foodsaver to work.

By the way, I just ordered some VacStrip brand storage bags for the foodsaver off of EBAY for a pretty good price and free shipping. I got the hint from the foodsaver forum, so I'm guessing they work well with the foodsaver.

They gave me the bone in cryovac two pack for $1.49lb. So I got some of both, bone in and bone out (heavily trimmed, boned and tied) for $1.99lb. I also got two dual pack cryovac spares for $1.99 lb. I'm set for quite awhile. There are typically two of us.

Can't beat that (without driving 50 miles). Sam's Club today was $1.36/lb. for the cryovac 2-pack.

Back