Pathetic quality of wood chunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
I have always burned BBQ's Galore wood chunks. However, today I saw Charbroil brand wood chunks. I couldn't believe my eyes - practically 100% chunks and no chips.

The BBQG "chunks" bag usually have 4-5 good size chunks, then large splinters, shims, chips and toothpicks.

The price is the same ($6.99), but the quality of the charbroil product shocked me.

Anybody else experience this sham?

~ Sean

Sean...I have experienced that to a degree. However, I used some applewood last night and the chunks were good sized and the entire bag looks to be that way. Got it from a guy in Cleveland for free but the company is Easy Lite BBQ Smoking & Cooking Woods. 952-941-4909.

The best bag I got was from New Baunfleds at the Home Depot. A huge bag and the chunks are huge all the way through the bag. Sometimes I only use 2 or 3 due to the size...it is MESQUITE afterall! The price was RIGHT also! Check it out!

Greg,

I'm using those same Home Depot wood chunks right now. I think I paid under $10 for a 20 lb bag. These chunks smoke great and have the entire property smelling like a BBQ cookoff.

Brian A

Greg,
I just checked out the site that Rath gave and for a 10lb bag the shipping is $8.75. I used to buy the big bags of wood from HD, but the store out here stopped selling them. Now I buy 10lb bags of Wrangler brand Hickory or Mesquite wood chunks from Wal Mart for $4.99 a bag. A good bang for the buck if you ask me. Good sized chunk throughout the bag. I think I might buy a bag from Raths web site, just can't decide which one to buy.

Larry,

Just a heads up on the wood chunks from Allied Kenco that Rath was refering to.

I got several kinds of chunks from them and was very disapointed in the size of the pieces. There were a few good sized chunks and the rest was like chips and splinters.I called to complain and was told that they were getting complaints that the chunks were too big and asked their supplier "Smokintex" to make them smaller. Well, to make a long story short, they refunded half of my money back since I told them that half of the bag was not chunks.

Al

Thanks Al! That is the exact reason I like to buy stuff in person and not on the net. I like to see what I am buying! Thanks again.

I always have trouble paying the same price for shipping as I do the product I'm buying!
icon_frown.gif

Try KingSmoke I heard about them on another forum and they were recommended by several people.

I agree with Greg - I don’t like paying shipping charges, but I couldn't find a good quality cherry wood locally. The chunks from KingSmoke were very consistent and their service was great.

You just gotta take your BBQ galore splinters, shims, chips, and toothpicks, and a bottle of elmer's glue...

Steve, I believe they are out of business and stuck Bryan w/ a $50 no show order!!

LOOK IN THE COVERSATION SECTION...BUYER BEWARE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back