Pastrami

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Freezer pull choice corned beef from costco.

Debrined a few days ago. Dry rubbed with pepper and air dryed in the garage fridge. Same rub as I've used before but I used a mustard binder for a change.

Put it in the BGE with two smoke tubes. One with pecan one a mix of post oak and cherry.

I'll cold smoke for a couple hours then bring some heat. Edit Pit temp is about 100F

20240615_125615.jpg

Last edited:
A little over 2 hours, smoke tubes are done. Moved to the WSK. Sort of a minion style start. Leftover coal with some Kpro around the edges and a few pecan chips for more smoke.

20240615_151834.jpg

Raised the deflector a little with the drop spider flipped over.

20240615_151913.jpg

The PSwoo from ceramic grill store makes moving stuff around easy. It's sized for a large BGE. Double deflector shields.

20240615_152645.jpg

Freezer pull choice corned beef from costco.

Debrined a few days ago. Dry rubbed with pepper and air dryed in the garage fridge. Same rub as I've used before but I used a mustard binder for a change.

Put it in the BGE with two smoke tubes. One with pecan one a mix of post oak and cherry.

I'll cold smoke for a couple hours then bring some heat. Edit Pit temp is about 100F

View attachment 93429
My mouth's watering Dan!

I've got a rib roast in the freezer that I was going to steak out. You got me thinking about doing pastrami with it. Just need room in the fridge for my briner bucket.

That looks great.
If you line the bottom of you Beswood with either cling, plastic wrap or foil, it makes cleanup a whole lot easier.
I have the same slicer and the only thing I don't like is cleanup.

I've cooked a few of these and until today, all had the grain of the meat in the same direction so slicing across the grain meant slicing shorter slices.

The first one was the same as others, but the second one had the grain 90 degrees different.

In the Pic below the left and center came from the same cut. I got about five slices in before I stopped and rotated it. The cut in the center was noticeably chewy. Note to self, check the grain next time.

20240616_112643.jpg

Brilliant cook, Dan. Did you defrost first, then soak? Or can you go straight from frozen into the soak? Thanks...love your cooks.
Thanks.

No defrost. I soaked / thawed right out of the freezer. First hour I left the pot on the counter, then changed the water and put the pot in the refrigerator. Changed water a second time a couple of hours later then left it overnight.

Back