Pastrami

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
I found a place that sells what I believe are brisket flats for $2.50/lb (it's about 6 lbs and says "Chuck Brisket" on the label in a cyrovac, USDA choice). It's time to make pastrami. Since Morton's Tenderquick is grossly overpriced and does not have many uses, I would like a recipe that uses Prague Powder #1 (Pink Salt). Thanks for the help.

Erik

Frankly, I'd check and see what they're selling. Is it mislabelled brisket or something from the chuck they are calling brisket?

Anyway:

6 T fine sea salt or non-iodized table salt

1 t pink salt

2 T sugar (I use white and less than others; you can use brown and/or more if you wish

Black pepper, coriander and garlic are the norm. I add ginger (powdered) and often use fresh garlic. 3 T of the pepper and coriander, whole, toasted, then well cracked, 3 T of minced fresh garlic (or 1.5-2 T granulated) and 2.5 t ginger.

Cure 6-7 days at ~38? (keep it above 36). Use a Zip-loc. Overhaul daily. Rinse well and soak. Fry a little piece to test for saltiness.

Kevin, does that price seem right?

If I decide to use a brine, would I increase the amount of pink salt since everything would be submerged in water or is that the maximum allowed for the amount of meat (4 ounces of pink salt for every 100 lbs of meat)?

Should I use 3 T total of black peper and coriander, or 3 T each (so a total of 6 T)?

We also have fresh ginger available. Should I use that instead of the powder? Thanks.

Erik

Not sure on the price as I don't buy flats but that seems low to me.

If you use a brine everything increases. I'd highly recommend a dry cure. For pastrami, I think the results are much better.

You'd use 3 T of each. Note that you can use more or less, as you wish.

For one reason or another I have not used fresh ginger but have meant to. Sure, use it. I'd go with almost the same amount, 2 t, grated.

To the rub (the one for cooking, not for the cure) I've taken to adding Aleppo to the pepper-coriander-garlic mix.

Since this is my first time making pastrami, I am going the norm route and use only black pepper, coriander and garlic. After my first impression I'll adjust the flavorings and add more ingredients (juniper berries is what I am looking forward to), if needed.

Do you think a rub is needed for the dry cure? I was thinking to only use salt, pink salt and sugar (I might even omit this) for the dry cure, and then add the black pepper, coriander and garilc for the cook. What do you think? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Erik

Kevin, I talked to the butcher, it's definitely a flat. They reduced the price to $2.29/lb. I just can't get myself to pay $7.50 for shipping for $2 worth of pink salt. I can't find the cure locally, darn it.

Erik

I can send you some if you are not needing it, like, immediately. I'm home for a fewe more days then will be heading out your way (somewhere in Calif, not sure yet) but could send on Mon or Tues. I have pink salt and I have a basic pink salt/salt/dextrose blend I use as a base for lots of stuff, mostly belly bacon.

Kevin, I don't need it immediately and I'll compensate you your costs. This will be the first time messing around with a cure so whichever you recommend. I guess since the recipe above is for regular pink salt (prague #1), I will use that. Again, either works for me and I would adjust accordingly if you sent the blend. Thank you.

Erik

I've had good success with the recipe on the virtual weber bullet site...but it does include TenderQuick and suggests curring for no more than 4 days...are you curing longer because of the absence of TenderQuick? I make this frequently and am always looking to improve it...

Thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Feldman:
are you curing longer because of the absence of TenderQuick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Andrew, it's just to be on the safe side and make sure the cure works the meat all the way through. If I was using Tenderquick, I would do the same and go around 7 days.

The ingredients for pink salt is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride, while tender quick uses sugar, sodium chloride, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.

Erik

Thanks.

In a recipe that calls for tenderquick can I replace it with an equal amount of pink salt? or is that not a good idea?

One more small question if you dont' mind...do you use a slicer? If so which one...I seem incapable of slicing the pastrami thin enough with a knife...

Andrew, no, you do not use the same amount of pink salt since tender quick contains salt (more of) and sugar. To be precise, the rule is 4 ounces of pink salt for every 100 lbs of meat. If measuring, it's roughly 2 tsps for 10 lbs of meat.

We own a professional slicer (for a business) so that's how I will be slicing the pastrami.

Here's a search I did, hopefully this helps you make your decision.

Erik

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Feldman:
Erik,
thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.
Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're Welcome.

Erik

Well, I went back to the supermarket and checked out if they still had any brisket. Sure enough, they did. I looked over it and this time, I felt the point of the brisket. The damn thing weighed ~6 lbs. So I looked behind the counter and the meat dept. manager was in. He said it's definitely a full packer. They have the option of ordering briskets that are over and under 7 lbs. He says the ones that weigh under 7 lbs sell faster so that's what they order. Damn, finally I get a satisfactory answer. Has anyone seen briskets this small? They're all under 7 lbs and cost $2.29/lb.

Erik

well eric. I thought it was a high price too. but it is hassle free. you order it you get it and you don't have to call and drive all over the place to find it. I got 2 pounds of pink and 2 pounds of dextrose. and it will last a long time. Girls teach us to cry so give it a whirl. Try crying real hard and you will have your pink salt and feel better. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
Kevin, I talked to the butcher, it's definitely a flat. They reduced the price to $2.29/lb. I just can't get myself to pay $7.50 for shipping for $2 worth of pink salt. I can't find the cure locally, darn it.

Erik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one. What are your feelings on recipes that add a lot of aromatics to the brine? Would that do anything for a dry-brine or are they more suitable to wet?

Mostly I notice a lot of bay leaf and juniper berry. Would these be more suitable for the corning process or for the final rub? I just don't want to serve bland pastrami, which is mostly whats available around here. I'm serving this on Thanksgiving, so the more help/advice the better!

Aromatics in the brine can work quite well. Juniper is better in a brine than in a rub. Bay - you can go either way, or both.

Quantities in a brine must be substantial for the aromatics to have noticeable effect. (Many recipes skimp.) Don't hesitate to use fresh aromatics either.

Back