Pastrami ?

Mike H.

TVWBB Member
Not sure if this is the corrrect place to post. But I want to make the Pastrami that is in the cooking topics,but I can't find Mortons Quick tender anywhere. Is there something I can use in its place?
Mike

You might try alliedkenco.com online. Super Walmarts used to stock it on the spice aisle, but no more. I looked everywhere I thought I might find it in travels to other states without success. I happened across it recently at a large local oriental market. I bought three bags.

Mike,
I made pastrami a few months ago. I had the same problem here. I could not find tenderquick anywhere. I looked everywhere. I ended up buying it on line, and had to wait untill the next weekend to make it. But it was worth the wait. Good luck.

went to several stores with no luck. So I will order online and wait a week
icon_frown.gif
Guess I will have to think of something else for the WSM this weekend....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you are going to the trouble to order online, I would highly recommend that you get DQ curing salt, aka Prague Powder. It is way cheaper and can be used for dozens of cured meats such as Jerky, bacon, buckboard bacon, pastrami, corned beef, etc. etc.

One pound would be equivalent to about 20 packages of morton tenderquick. With tenderquick, you are grossly overpaying for a mixture that is mostly salt and sugar. Plus, with tenderquick, you lack control over the amount of salt and sugar in your cure, since it is hard to figure the percentages in it.

If you decide you want to try the DQ curing salt, I can give you a pastrami recipe or any other recipe if you want to go that route.

One pound of DQ Curing Salt at Butcher Packer is $2.00 and is equalivalent to about 20 packages of tenderquick (that's a rough guess, I could be way off).

Mike,
I will take 3 days for the curing process. Kinda late in the week for that. Go ahead and order it, then plan it out. It is well worth the wait. Just do some spares or something this weekend.

David, can you please post both a pastrami and canadian bacon recipe using Prague Powder #1. Thank you.

Erik

Back