Pastrami question

Don Marco

TVWBB Fan
Howdy folks.

I just got back home with two ~5 pound briskets and i wanna give the PASTRAMI RECIPE a try.

Off course, i forgot to buy granulated garlic, and mortons tender quick is not available over here.

Do you think i could use curing salt instead of tender quick and fresh, minced garlic instead of granulated,
make a paste of it and smear it over the meat ?

Also, whats your suggestion for a perfect Pastrami sandwich ?

Thanks,

DM

I asked the same question about a TenderQuick substitute here. I used the pink curing salt in the proportions outlined in the posts and had good results.

-Pete

Chop 6 cloves garlic then mash into a paste with some of the salt from the recipe. Mix in the rest of the ingredients for the cure then mash again. Spread on. (12 cloves is the equivalent to the 2 T granulated called for. I'd go with 6 as the dynamics are different and see how that works for you.)

I think pastrami should be further steamed after smoking. You can do the whole brisket or, simply, slice and steam before making sandwiches. I am a huge Reuben fan.

I make then as if making a typical grilled cheese sandwich: unsalted butter spread on bread placed buttered side down in a cold pan; build the sandwich as the pan heats on med-low, topping with another buttered slice. Flip when the bottom is browned and crispy, then weight and cok till that side is browned and the cheese has melted.

I nearly always use dark rye. I prefer Gruyère or Emmentaler for the cheese and I make a simple Russian dressing (I do not make it like Thousand Island--no pickles/relish--just mayo, ketchup, minced shallot or onion, horseradish, paprika, a squeeze of lemon, a touch of sugar, and, often, a little minced parsley and/or dill). I use fresh or fresh-style sauerkraut, briefly rinsed and drained, then dried a bit with paper towels (a complaint I have is too-soggy Reubens, which often occurs because of the kraut).

I spread dressing on the buttered bread in the pan, top with kraut, then cheese, then meat, then the top slice of buttered bread on which I've also spread dressing. My other complaint is that Reubens can be made too thick with too much meat. They shouldn't be, imo, as it's the combination and balance of flavors that make them work so well. Overstuff and the balance is lost.

Though I like corned beef, I much prefer pastrami for Reubens.

Originally posted by Paul Balzotti:
I personally like mine boiled then put on a nice kaiser roll with mustard. Is all Pastrami smoked? yes I know rookie question.
Yes.

icon_redface.gif

Damnit, i followed the instructions, cut off almost all fat and cured that thingy 5 days instead of 3, and still it didnt completely cure.

Anyone got a clue why ? Maybe because i used curing salt instead of tender quick ?

Heres two pics :

http://mybbq.net/forum/userpix/57_pastrami_008_Medium_1.jpg

http://mybbq.net/forum/userpix/57_pastrami_009_Medium_1.jpg

Thanks,

DM

Can't answer your question but I bet it tastes great. My guess is you only have a cosmetic issue so long as it is consumed quickly. Don you may have motivated me to give it a try soon.

Originally posted by Don Marco:
icon_redface.gif

Damnit, i followed the instructions, cut off almost all fat and cured that thingy 5 days instead of 3, and still it didnt completely cure.

Anyone got a clue why ? Maybe because i used curing salt instead of tender quick ?
Nope, that wouldn't do it. Do you know your fridge temp?

Fridge temp is at 34-38 F all the time and its a fridge that doesnt get opened too often.

The meat was on the bottom rack and i tiurned it twice every day.

DM

Looks like it gets pretty thick in the middle. I always go 7-10 days when doing a pastrami just so I know it'll be cured throughout. Oh well, bet it still tastes just fine. Next time just go longer if you have a thick flat.

Curing slows at temps <37 (some say 36) and stops below 34. More time was needed, especially since it's a fridge that doesn't get used much and so the temps were likely 34-36 more often (?). Bryan's suggestion is a good one (7 days minimum) in that situation.

Glad you liked it Bill!

Kevin,

About how long do you steam the Pastrami?

I smoked a brisket pastrami today and also have a batch of dill sourkraut that is far enough along that I can steal a little for a few sandwiches.

Will be baking sourdough rye on Sunday.

If the pastrami has been finished and is cold, slice very thinly then steam for about 3 minutes or so. (Taste test for tenderness and temp.)

Or--

If steaming a whole brisket or brisket flat, it will depend on how far along you took the brisket when you smoked it. If you took it to the typical ~160, then you might be looking at 20, 30 min or up to probably an hour, depending on thickness, whether you start it from cold or immediately steam after smoking, and how marbled it is. I have had some that were thick, marbled and started cold that have gone longer--and some fresh from the smoker than have taken as little as 15 minutes.

It's a 'feel' thing. If doing whole (and you went with a 160 finish at smoking) steam till just fork tender. Ditto if you smoked to a higher point--but if you smoked till tender then I recommend slicing first and not steaming whole as you're looking at losing the texture.

I just took it to 150 as it took longer than I expected and I was running out of time. I will just steam the small portions as needed, rather than do the whole thing. I put half in the freezer for a rainy day.

When you talk about steaming the pastrami, is it in a perforated rack in a pot above boiling water or actually sitting in the water?

Not obvious to me - anytime I've made reubens (I use pastrami, not corned beef) I simply heat it up a little in a pan.

Want to try the steaming method next time.

Pastrami is often taken to a relatively low finish temp (lower than 'regular' smoked brisket but still cooked through of course). Many cooks pull them in the 160s.

Steaming is a way to further cook the meat so that it becomes more tender and is a good reheating option as well--it gives a finish much like many delis, many of which steam to finish or steam to reheat.

Steaming is best done over--not in--water.

Back