pastrami and measuring 'thin' meat temps...

Anton

TVWBB Fan
So I'm six hours into smoking my 'pastrami' and am having a hard time getting accurate meat temps I think. Since the brisket flat is relatively thin, am I supposed to try and measure in the middle or what? I would have figured this thing would have been done by now, but the meat readins I'm getting are in the 140-150 range, and of course in some places all the way up to 180+. I'm concerned that I'm going to end up with about half pastrami and half pastrami jerky.

It's probably a 7 pound flat, there wasn't a uniform fat cap on it, so the fat ranges from 1/8" to none in some places. I'm thinking this could be the issue, some places with not enough fat?

It's sitting on the lower grate, grate temps have been in the 220-240 range most of the time.

I'm not sure what to do now. Any input would probably be helpful.

Anton

I just judge where the thickest part is and push the probe into the side. I always measure ontop of the meat first and mark it with my thumb and index finger. If you try to go from the top down you can get false readings. HTH.
icon_smile.gif

Took em off the WSM, let it rest for a half hour, sliced some off...

AWESOME!
icon_smile.gif

Definitely the best pastrami I've ever had. I probably cooked it a bit long as it's a bit dry around the edges, but inside it's nice and juicy.

Great stuff! Great recipe (the one from here )

I'm drooling just thinking about it... Gotta go

Anton, Glad to hear the pastrami came out great. I made the pastrami found on TVWBB a couple of weeks ago and really liked how it turned out. Def will make it again.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back