Parts Location on PCB

MLewisClark

I’m just now starting assembly of the heatermeter and the soldering is going well so far. I’m on the 1k resistor install and confused by the photo from the assembly page. The resistors circled in red are labeled on the PCB as 1k. The 1k I received and that are pictured in the resistor matrix in that same section of the assembly page looks like this:
rOV4VYJ.png

While the resistors in the 1k slot in the photo on the assembly page below are blue (circled) and not with brown black red gold stripes.
19i2wHk.jpg

I also don’t understand the “Parts” column (i.e. R1, R3, R21). I don’t see that on the PCB. Is there a map anywhere that would help me understand the placement? Any help would be appreciated.

My board so far with 5 resistors soldered on.
Ytr2U8f.jpg

jOeSIw4.jpg

I think the blue resistors are 1% accuracy and the brown may have a less, either work fine for the HM. DO you have a multi-meter? If so, measure resistance to verify it is 1K etc... otherwise whip out the old resistor color code chart or use the trusty memory tool to determine the value.....

Bad Boys R... Our Young Girls Behind Vicotry Garden Walls but Valarie Gives Willingly. Sorry for being so crude, my electronics instructor was a retired Navy guy...

Each capitol letter corolates a color band to a number 0-9 and the last three are for tolerance

The shell colour of a resistor doesn't matter. The circular bands on the resistor are what defines what type of resistor it is.

Have a look at http://www.digikey.ca/en/resources/...version-calculator-resistor-color-code-4-band

Things like " R1, R3, R21" refer to the parts on the schematic of the board.

The silk screening on the board itself has all of the identifications required to build it.

ie: the middle 2 resistors that say 2k2 and 47k = 2200 and 4700 ohms

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have a multi-meter - I'll have to lookup how to use it though as I'm a complete electronics noob. I'll be giving this another go on Sunday and may have to reply back with some additional questions, but it looks as if I just follow the labeling on the PCB and forget about the resistors in the photo.

Yeah there isn't enough space on the circuit board to put the value and the name of the part without it getting confusing what label goes with what. The value is all you need though. Match your resistors to parts identifier sheet by the color bands, then find that value on the PCB and solder them in. The build photos, some parts I used are metal film (blue body) because that's all I had (now-days I just steal from the thousands I have for making kits!)

So if I were building a heatermeter for the Raspberry Pi A+ (I'm not, just curious) how would I know which one is the R3 resistor to omit?

So if I were building a heatermeter for the Raspberry Pi A+ (I'm not, just curious) how would I know which one is the R3 resistor to omit?

Hmm, the question is a bit odd because you do not omit a resistor to run rPi A+ (or any other rPi version). You do have to put the transistor and the resistor that are located to the right of the rPI header on the bottom side of the board because the additional legs on the rPi + model header will hit those parts. However, I have found the resistor is fine on top in my build, so I only moved the transistor to the other side of the board. When moving the transistor make sure to get the legs in the same places they were originally, you have to move the center leg from one side to the other when you put the part on the other side.....

Yeah it is the one that would be where the Pi's connector extends. You can see the blank space next to the piezo buzzer in the photos, and it is the only resistor on the top of the board in the top photo.

I think the blue resistors are 1% accuracy and the brown may have a less, either work fine for the HM. DO you have a multi-meter? If so, measure resistance to verify it is 1K etc... otherwise whip out the old resistor color code chart or use the trusty memory tool to determine the value.....

Bad Boys R... Our Young Girls Behind Vicotry Garden Walls but Valarie Gives Willingly. Sorry for being so crude, my electronics instructor was a retired Navy guy...

Each capitol letter corolates a color band to a number 0-9 and the last three are for tolerance

I remember that Ohm's saying!!

Back