Partial refurb

David L in Hull

Hi all,
Many thanks to all contributers on the forum for the help, tips and advice I have received and learned over the last month of addictive reading of the blog .I have now decieded not to purchase a new genesis s 330 but stick with my 16 yr old silver b. It seems the quality that once was ,appears to be fading with the newer models, many parts have been cheapened and sourced overseas. So inspired I gave the old Grill a thorough clean down and was surprised at its condition . My only concern was slight rusting of the manifold maintube to which the valves are attached, I was wondering if this could be painted, if so I would like to spruce up the lid castings at the same time but I am struggling to find the high heat rustoleum in the UK. All the bolts in the firebox are loose and I intend to replace them with stainless ones .Would anyone recommend a stainless bolt and nut option for the lid castings as I will replace these after painting as while I can still remove them with ease I will as it will make it easier come the day of the big overhaul. Many thanks in advanced Dave.

If you can always use stainless. As for the manifold it's pretty thick metal. Brush off the loose stuff use some kind of "rust converter" on it then paint it. Good call on the grill though especially that I can't imagine how expensive a new Weber is in the UK. My friend in Lichfield says they're way over the top expensive

Hi,
Thanks for the reply LMichaels, the best price here in the uk at the moment is £960 on 10 months interest free for the S330 ,earlier this year they were £1600 so its a good saving but still expensive, as you have mentioned in other posts Broil king look very interesting. I have found some rustoleum in the UK that's good to 650 c and some stainless furniture bolts that are pan headed that should fit the hood. I think it could be a winter refurb project if the fishing poor this year. cheers Dave

Back