pan or grate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad P

Hi,I'v been trying to plan out my first turkey on the WSM,lots of great info here!I'm planning on useing the self basteing recipe from the home page.I was wondering about using a pan though and puting butter and other liquids in the center of the bird.Will this make a big differnce?What are the pro's or con's?I also plan on using apple wood and cooking at 325-350 Thx.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "in the center of the bird". Are you planning on doing a whole turkey or just the breast? Are you asking about putting butter/liquid in the cavity or under the skin?

I smoked a turkey yesterday on my WSM. I used the stardard method for the coals, had apple cider and water in the pan, rubbed the outside with olive oil and sprinkled salt, pepper, garlic powder, and tyme on the bird. Inside, I placed a sliced an apple, cut up orange, and fresh herbs. I couldn't get the smoker above 270 degrees because it was windy and cool here. I cooked it for five hours in the smoker and then did the last 45 min. in the oven with a temp. probe to bring it up to 165 degrees in the thickest part of the breast. By the way,
I used apple wood a friend gave me...
BEST TURKEY I HAVE EVER HAD.

K Kruger,This is what I was talking about.I wanted to try this but cook at higher tems.What do you guys think?

INGREDIENTS:
1 (10 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
1/2 cup butter
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans cola-flavored carbonated beverage
1 apple, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat smoker to 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C).
Rinse turkey under cold water, and pat dry. Rub the crushed garlic over the outside of the bird, and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Place in a disposable roasting pan. Fill turkey cavity with butter, cola, apple, onion, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Cover loosely with foil.
Smoke at 225 to 250 degrees F (110 to 120 degrees C) for 10 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C) when measured in the thickest part of the thigh. Baste the bird every 1 to 2 hours with the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan.

Hmmm. That is a very odd recipe. Personally, the cola-turkey combo isn't one I'd choose but that aside, I have no clue what the point would be of dumping a quart of cola into the cavity (even if it would hold it, which I doubt), nor do I get the half-cup of butter in there either, which would simply melt inside the bird.

I mean no disrespect to you at all but neither the recipe nor the approach makes sense to me.

I dunno. I re-read the recipe and then the reviews.... It's just not appealing to me. By all means try it if you wish. It'd be interested to know what you thought. If you do then I'd recommend following the recipe, pan and all, since the point seems to be containing all within the pan for the duration of the cook. Personally, I like a brined bird, rubbed with a fairly spicy dry or paste rub, and smoked with a fruitwood. But there are--obviously--lots of variations to approaches.

I can see where cola might bring a sweet, spicy (think cinnamon) element to turkey, but with any poultry-on-the-smoker recipe, I always bear in mind these facts:

Poultry really soaks up smoke-- it's easy to overdo. Overdone smoke is bitter and nasty.

Poultry does not benefit from low & slow cooking-- it does not have the kind of fat and connective tissue in need of breaking down that butts and brisket do. Cooking poultry too low and too long only risks drying it out.

Poultry does not need to spend any more time than necessary in the danger zone-- between 40° and 140° for more than 2 hours. A 10 hour poultry cook is out of the question for me.

Thx for the info
icon_biggrin.gif
I'm gona cook at 325+ Rub inside and out,paste under the skin and some onion and bay leaves inside. yum yum !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back