Pair of Chuckies for Pulled Beef

Mike JP

We got a 1/4 steer in the Fall and are now working my way through all the roast cuts. I did two 3# chuck roasts this past Saturday. I never did chuckies before so I did some experimenting. I marinated for about 24 hours in a Wegmans peppercorn steakhouse marinade - which is pretty much salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and garlic. Then I rubbed one down with a KC-style rib rub that I had made for ribs previously and wanted to finish off. I added some cumin too. I rubbed the other one down with a mixture of Montreal Steak seasoning and Emeril's Steak Rub - again, clearing out the leftover rubs. Emeril's is a lot like the Montreal but with a little more kick. Spent the night in the fridge with the rub, then I fired up the WSM at 9am with some Kingsford and some hickory and cherry. While I waited for the WSM to heat up, I injected each roast with a 50-50 mixture of Pale Ale and worcestershire. Smoked at 25-275 for just under three hours and got them to 160 IT, then foiled with their drippings and cooked at 235-250 for almost four hours to get to an IT of 210. It surprised me it took that long, but it's done when it's done. Floating in the pool with beer makes the waiting easier. Then FTC'd for two hours. They pulled apart easily. I could have shredded them with plastic forks. Poured what was left in the foil over top with a little of Stubbs sauce, and dinner was served. They were a hit. Fed 5 people and I have a couple meals leftover. Lucky me, my wife is out tomorrow night, so I know what I'm having.

Interestingly, the roast with the Montreal rub was more tender than the other roast. I wonder if that is just the characteristics of the individual roasts, marbling, etc., or if the heavy salt in the Montreal rub contributed to it. That roast could have used a little less salt, but, overall it was a good saltiness - but definitiely a pronounced saltiness. Perhaps a little sweetener would have helped cut it a bit and still let all that salt do its magic.

Now I have some other roasts to work through as summer progresses.

Here's the action shots:

All rubbed up:

Injection time:

Couldn't let half a beer go to waste, even if it was 9am:

Post-injection:

After almost three hours of a nap in the smoke, IT of 160:

After 2 hours FTC:

After pullin' - the one on the left is the Montreal, and the one on the right is the smoky rib rub:

Really good post Mike. It's interesting to see the difference in coloring between the two also. Doing it again, which would be your favorite? Nice beer BTW. :) They used to be my customer.

I had to go back and re-read that line about floating in a pool of beer :) Great lookin' pulled beef, Mike. I'm the one in line behind Kurt waiting for my sammie.

Mike they look great, I have two of them in the freezer right now, been debating how to cook them. Would you do the same cook again or is there something you would change?
Also do they look like something you could slice instead of pulling?

Mike they look great, I have two of them in the freezer right now, been debating how to cook them. Would you do the same cook again or is there something you would change?
Also do they look like something you could slice instead of pulling?

You could slice them but I don't think you'd want to bring them all the way up to 210 IT. I've seen some posts where guys slice them at 140 or so. I've not done it though.

If I did this cook again, I think I'd back off the Montreal a bit to lessen the saltiness, but just a bit. Maybe add some sugar to the rub. And I'd add a little MORE salt to the rib/paprika rub since that had table salt which just isn't the same as the big kosher salt. I had planned on using Mesquite chunks but I was out, so I will try that next time for more of a Texas feel. Oddly, the roast rubbed with the rib/paprika rub was less tender than the other one, even though they both got to 210. Like I said, maybe the extra salt in the Montreal helped with the tenderness. Maybe it was just the cut. Next time, I think I'd push IT to 215 or 220 to ensure all round super tenderness. Of course, you need patience and lots of beer. At some temp, it will turn to mush, I guess, but I don't know where that is.

I have one more left in the freezer that I'm going to make tacos with. Haven't come up with a plan yet. Good luck!

Back