Painting Weber Q

Charlie UK

I've recently got a Q200. It's not in the best state and has been left outside in the British rain for the last 15 years so is desperate for a coat of paint.
A lot of the existing paint has already flaked off so I think I'll get the lid soda blasted to strip it back to bare metal.
It seems Rust-oleum Ultra is the preferred paint on here but it's not easy to get in the UK.
I'd like to use a bright colour so looking for something with decent colour choices that will hold up to the heat.
I've been looking at the VHT Flame proof and the VHT Caliper. Both have a good range of colours but I'm leaning towards the caliper as it doesn't need a primer and can go straight on bare metal. The flame proof looks good but would need primer, base coat and lacquer at £15/can.
Does anyone have any experience of how the VHT paints hold up to the heat of a Q?
Cheers

Either of those paints should work fine as long as they are rated for at least 600 degrees. I would try to go with the Flame proof as I think it is rated for well over 1000 like the rustoleum ultra.

I've used VHT a few times. Holds up well and looks great.

I'd recommend not using a cover on your grill after you've painted it. I did and the paint got hot and stuck to the cover, ended up having to repaint

Either of those paints should work fine as long as they are rated for at least 600 degrees. I would try to go with the Flame proof as I think it is rated for well over 1000 like the rustoleum ultra.

Thanks both. @Bruce - The Caliper paint is rated to 900 degrees and the flame proof is 1300-2000 degrees but I don't know if that's continuous or intermittent. I think the Flame proof is the better choice but it's expensive.

@Kyle in Woodstock Have you ever used the VHT paint without primer? I'm getting the kid blasted but don't know how well the paint will stick to bare metal without the Flame proof primer.
Also need to decide on a colour. Think I'm leaning towards orange but I saw some pictures that Bruce posted of his red ones and they look amazing!

I think you would be totally fine with caliper paint. There are some "engine" paints that rate up to only 550 degrees (F) that could potentially give you a problem. I'm with you, Charlie, in liking some color. I wish there were more colors in the higher temperature range. Please post picture of what you decide to use!

Thanks both. @Bruce - The Caliper paint is rated to 900 degrees and the flame proof is 1300-2000 degrees but I don't know if that's continuous or intermittent. I think the Flame proof is the better choice but it's expensive.

@Kyle in Woodstock Have you ever used the VHT paint without primer? I'm getting the kid blasted but don't know how well the paint will stick to bare metal without the Flame proof primer.
Also need to decide on a colour. Think I'm leaning towards orange but I saw some pictures that Bruce posted of his red ones and they look amazing!
You might find some useful info here

Is there any reason not to get the inside of the lid blasted? It's pretty black and nasty at the moment so was planning to get it stripped back to plain aluminium and leave it unpainted.

Thanks for the link @Kyle in Woodstock - I think I'll avoid the VHT red based on your feedback.

Yeah, you can get the inside blasted. Just don't paint the inside.

I really liked the look of the VHT blue. I'll be doing a Q lid this spring in blue.

There's a few old threads that have some more good info on painting. Since the Q is made of cast aluminum, any threads that talk about painting a firebox on a bigger gas grill would apply since those are also made of cast aluminum.

IIRC Eastwood carries a line of paint for exhaust manifolds. Now THAT would definitely hold up :D
Sadly our choices are very limited in the UK. VHT is really the only brand we've got here that seems to do a range of colours in high temperature paint.. We can get Rustoleum but only in black or silver.

You can get the inside blasted, but why? Unless you are going to rehab and sell the grill, don't bother. It will be black after a dozen cooks anyway. Someone just preseasoned it for you.
I know there's no real point as it will soon be black again but I guess I just like shiny things! I'm planning to clean up everything else so it seems a shame to leave part of it 'dirty'! You're right though, it would be a bit of a waste of money.

If that is what you want. THen go for it. happy happy joy joy.
t0sG1c6.jpg

I know there's no real point as it will soon be black again but I guess I just like shiny things! I'm planning to clean up everything else so it seems a shame to leave part of it 'dirty'! You're right though, it would be a bit of a waste of money.
I think if you are going to pay someone to blast it, the added cost to do two sides instead of one probably won't be much more. I'd get it cleaned and get it dirty with your cooks and clean away the prior owners gunk.

Back