Painting at 70% humidity

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Our temps have finally broke and I was hoping to get out and do some grill rehabbing. Problem is, all I have ready to go now is some parts painting. While the temps are finally down, the dewpoint is still in the upper 60's which is keeping the humidity up to around 67% at its lowest point later today. I know if will take longer for the paint to dry, but is it even advisable to paint under those conditions? No real chance of rain at least. Should I hold off on the painting or go ahead and give it a shot?

Same problem here. RH at the moment here is 84% and is the lowest it has been for the last 2 days. I’ve got a pile of stuff ready to spray and know it will just cause me more grief to do so than if I were to wait another day or two for conditions to improve.

Yah, the RH here won't approach 50% until Sunday. Oh well. Like you, I think I will hold out rather than create a mess.

do you guys trust your weather reporting for humidity? or do you have a thermometer with a humidity sensor?

I don't have a humidity sensor. I guess I have to trust the idiots. But, I was out parting out grills this afternoon and I know the humidity was HIGH.

do you guys trust your weather reporting for humidity? or do you have a thermometer with a humidity sensor?
In these present conditions, I don’t need a weather instrument to tell me the air is sticky. When compelled, I get my RH numbers from Wunderground to confirm what my body is already feeling.

I agree. It looks like humidity will finally get down to 50% Sunday afternoon with moderate temps. I will hit it then.

There are ways to formulate the paint (if mixing your own) to work well in higher humidity. Otherwise if too humid the paint can turn "milky" or cloudy. Or you can look at spray conditions on the spray cans. It will give temp and hum ranges where it will work well

Joe, I have almost bought one of those (similar) off Amazon a couple times. Where did you get yours and do you like it.

In these present conditions, I don’t need a weather instrument to tell me the air is sticky. When compelled, I get my RH numbers from Wunderground to confirm what my body is already feeling.
Thanks Tom ,Bruce , Joe and John G and everyone who suggested Wunderground it is a great weather platform I just added it to my favourites , I no longer have to convert celsius to fahrenheit for my local weather , , When I grew up we didn't have celsius in Canada and its a PIA constantly converting to fahrenheit . When we first converted to celsius back in 1975 I would switch to the Buffalo NY tv stations for my local weather forecast and subtract about 4 deg farenheit from their forecasts..

Last edited:
I have one of these and have it hooked to WU. 96% tonight.
View attachment 77806
I find the idea of social weather sharing / reporting to be very communal for whatever reason which is why I originally found myself drawn to Wunderground in the first place. The info received there is certainly more accurate than the talking heads on TV. I’ve always wanted my own reporting station but could never justify the $900+ onboarding price WU shows for equipment. This might just be the jumping on point I’ve been looking for. Keep an eye out for “The Weber Guy” reporting station coming soon to zip 12020 to see if I finally pull the proverbial trigger. Thanks, @Joe Anshien!

We all have an app on our phones and it's usually free
True. However; the most accurate of these apps are all social based platforms that are made better by each and every person like Joe who shares their weather data. For myself, the desire to get involved is about community and contribution over the pure consumption mentality I exhibit entirely too often.

Back