Ox cheek

Simon Broadribb

Has any one tried cooking ox cheek?
I have cooked ox cheek using the tradition braising method. I am guessing it would be great as it is simular to brisket without any big lumps of fat, althought it has fat marbled heavy throw it.

I thought I might cook it the same way as brisket, any ideas?

Simon

Throw one on and find out!

If its good I would love to do something like that, feed everyone, and then tell them what they just ate, the kids would freak out lol...

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Hi LarryR

The Traditional (Mexican) Barbacoa sounds very simular, this is the sort of idea I had in mind. I have just put six ox checks on with 2 different ruds. I also put a 3.5 kg chuck on at the same time, if it come out any thing like the brisket I did at the weekend I'II be happy.

Dave I have never cooked any meat in a liquid on the bullet, have you done this with tomato sauce and was it just copped tomatoes it did it have some herbs in?

Sounds good

Thanks for the help

Simon

I wasn't envisioning the tomato sauce step on the bullet, but rather taking your smoked cheek and braising it in a sauce made from tomatoes and onions and garlic until it's falling apart, and puree the resulting reduced mixture and use it to fill the noodles. Beef cheek ravioli is a fairly classic dish, and is usually served with a sauce made from butter. I was just thinking that starting your cheeks on the WSM could lend a nice smokey hint to the dish...

You could do the braise on the WSM in a (disposable) pan if you're running a high enough heat cook, though.

Hi Dave.

Ok, Sounds good. Post cooking results: Really tasty and tender, will do them again and next time in the mexican style.

Have consumed to much already and now fill a little ill.

Simon

Back