Ox / beef tongue deliberations

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You'd think I'd asked for a bag of lizard tails from the looks of shock and awe in the shop when he yelled out "who's the lady wants the beef tongue?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did the butcher, at least, shrink wrap it to a pink styrofoam tray so the rest of the store knew it was something you're suppose to eat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

J, seriously, the guy lifted it perched naked on some wrapping paper, ready for the scale. The whole place gasped and then went silent. At that point an elderly Chinese man tapped my shoulder and asked in a thick accent: "Were you born here?"

Before I could answer, a big-haired woman in a low cut orange sundress, announced like the star witness for the prosecution: "She's foreign." She had an RIP tattoo of a grey poodle on her cleavage. Aptly - and rather ironically - the dog's name was "Smokey".

By now the tongue was flopped on the scale and the butcher asked, "How's that for you? $10 okay?"

Having no idea of the going rate, I said, "Really? Ten dollars for a beef tongue?"

I must have sounded dubious, as he promptly offered, "I'll throw in a pound of tripe." For the benefit of those bemused, he added, "That's the stomach lining."

A teenage girl gasped "Eewww" and gagged on her gum. Her mom hissed, "These are hard times and not everyone has our life. Remember that."

The Chinese man's daughter seemed to feel she should come to my defense and said, "Offal is a delicacy in some countries."

Mrs. Poodle Tattoo could trump that. With a self-satisfied snort, she said, "There's cannibals in some places, too."

Had I stumbled onto the set of a John Waters movie? Brazen panache appeared to be called for, so I told the butcher: "I'll take half a pound of head cheese, too, thanks. Sliced thin."

What the heck - I can snack on that while I'm threatening civilization by BBQ-ing a tongue. And if I get hungry in the meantime, there's always liver... with a nice Chianti and some fava beans.

First off, my condolences as well...

Thanks for the great laugh with your last post Jennifer. It's funny, a few years ago things like lamb shanks and necks, ox tails and celery root were really cheap...but now they are popular due to the food network and the price has crept up.

I have a fish tank full of Discus and I feed them a mixture of stuff that is primarily beef heart. Every time I buy it the old timers in the butcher shop give me a knowing smile and the yuppies look at me like I'm insane.

I grew up a first generation Canadian (with a mother from Trinidad) and learned very quickly that telling people what we ate would sometimes get strange looks...these days no one would think any of the stuff we ate was strange.

Good on you for going back to your roots and looking forward to your progress.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jennifer K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You'd think I'd asked for a bag of lizard tails from the looks of shock and awe in the shop when he yelled out "who's the lady wants the beef tongue?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did the butcher, at least, shrink wrap it to a pink styrofoam tray so the rest of the store knew it was something you're suppose to eat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

J, seriously, the guy lifted it perched naked on some wrapping paper, ready for the scale. The whole place gasped and then went silent. At that point an elderly Chinese man tapped my shoulder and asked in a thick accent: "Were you born here?"

Before I could answer, a big-haired woman in a low cut orange sundress, announced like the star witness for the prosecution: "She's foreign." She had an RIP tattoo of a grey poodle on her cleavage. Aptly - and rather ironically - the dog's name was "Smokey".

By now the tongue was flopped on the scale and the butcher asked, "How's that for you? $10 okay?"

Having no idea of the going rate, I said, "Really? Ten dollars for a beef tongue?"

I must have sounded dubious, as he promptly offered, "I'll throw in a pound of tripe." For the benefit of those bemused, he added, "That's the stomach lining."

A teenage girl gasped "Eewww" and gagged on her gum. Her mom hissed, "These are hard times and not everyone has our life. Remember that."

The Chinese man's daughter seemed to feel she should come to my defense and said, "Offal is a delicacy in some countries."

Mrs. Poodle Tattoo could trump that. With a self-satisfied snort, she said, "There's cannibals in some places, too."

Had I stumbled onto the set of a John Waters movie? Brazen panache appeared to be called for, so I told the butcher: "I'll take half a pound of head cheese, too, thanks. Sliced thin."

What the heck - I can snack on that while I'm threatening civilization by BBQ-ing a tongue. And if I get hungry in the meantime, there's always liver... with a nice Chianti and some fava beans. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BWAHAHAHAHAH! What a great post!

"Good evening, Clarice......"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What the heck - I can snack on that while I'm threatening civilization by BBQ-ing a tongue </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
LOL!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">"Thanks for the great laugh with your last post Jennifer. "</span>
Love it. You SO fit right in here Jennifer. Strange to me -- wasn't it just a generation or two ago when everyone ate that stuff? Have we all become yuppified and only eat the bland, tender meat cuts? I recomend you find yourself some Chinese friends (as I have) and go with them eat the good stuff: pork liver, tripe, fish head, etc.
Looking forward to the tongue-smoke Jen. Good luck!

Jennifer....your post was hilarious! Sounds like a script for Saturday Night Live.

If some of these uninformed market shoppers had ever watched Andrew Zimern consume some of his unusual fare, tongue and head cheese would seem rather plain.

Loved your post...funny!

I smoked a beef tongue. First I boiled it for a couple hours so I could peel the skin off and then I smoked it for a couple more hours. I was pretty happy with the results. I don't recall tongue ever being brined in our family. The traditional way to cook it was to boil it to remove the skin and make a gravy with canned tomato soup and then serve it on a bread dumpling. Bay leaf is a great seasoning for that. My attempt to make a bread dumpling came out not so good. It was best described as substantial.

Back