Overwinter paint storage

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Over the past few years, I simply left my spray cans of paint sit out in the garage over winter here in Wisconsin. The seemed to handle to sub zero temps we routinely experience up here in Wisconsin just fine. Every once in a while, I would find a can that didn't spray too well but rare and just as likely a result of not using it for six months straight.

Anyway, this year, I bought a dozen cans of Rustoleum Ultra High heat on Amazon Prime days and am debating if I need to bring them in the house over winter or if I will be OK just leaving them out in the garage with the rest of my grill stuff.

What do you guys think?

I think I'm lucky my garage rarely gets below 40F.

Honestly don't know but I think I'd bring them inside if I had a cool out of the way place to store them.

I had/have a bunch in totes that stay in the garage. I had one blow during a bad cold spell. Just missed spraying my wifes new car black.
It's the freeze sudden thaw that triggers them.

OK, I will bring them in, but too many automotive and other aerosols to deal with the same way. I can't fit a car in my garage with all the grill stuff in there, so if one blows, Oh Well. But I would hate to come out in the spring to start painting grills and find out all 12 cans of my HH Ultra were trashed.

Most oil based paint can handle the cold but it's the extreme cold that can mess up the pigments and make your paint crap.
SIL used to be the paint manager at Menards and she would let me know when they had clearance items. Bought a bunch of Rustoleum paint and primer and that did ok in my garage. It's an unatached garage but insulated. I keep them in the totes just in case another one blows. The one that did blow was a cheap brand.

I've never had a problem with any spray can and never brought them in from either garage. Admittedly the one attached to the house stays about 20 to 30 degrees warmer than the one in back

Back