Overpriced Brisket Sound Off

I have not tried the Elburn Meat Market, though I have passed it before. Still, it is about twice the drive of crystal lake..so I will give the guy closer to me a shot first. Thanks for the tip though! It is nice to have alternatives.

Called around to several butchers in the area (Columbus) last week in preparation for my Saturday BBQ. I'm trying to avoid Sam's and Wal-Mart. Want to support local butchers (especially Weilands and Carfagnas). However, I was quoted prices anywhere from $3.99 TO 7.99 FOR A WHOLE BRISKET.

I'm not sure when it became de riguer to sell waht is essentially a crappy cut of meat for these prices, but it has got to stop. Ended up going to Sam's for $1.29.

Same thing with flank steak. A "special" for $5.99 for a flank steak is about $3 too much.

Off my pedestal now...

Thanks, Alan. I know Kalck's well. We have shopped there often, and I'm acquainted with the owner, Ken, and his daughter, Melanie, who runs the shop for him most of the time. They have great stuff there. I'm even surprised to learn they have a packer priced like that, as their prices are usually well above the local supermarkets.

BTW, Ken is a Harley owner. Has two. One for around town, the other for road trips.

I will refer to you and to the group. Maybe we can get something going.

Virgil

Virgil...please do. I understand paying more for quality and for the fact that it is hard for a little guy to compete on price with a Wal-Mart. So if they excel in quality and service, I will gladly pay for it. Just don't want to be gouged at a rediculous rate. Thanks for the reference on Kalck's.

I've gotten lucky a few times here in Ohio. I live right between Dayton and Lima on I-75 and am surrounded by a number of Wal-mart supercenters and one of them is bound to have packer briskets marked down. My last batch was at $.76/lb and that was last week. I've gotten a case of choice packers from Walmart for $1.18/lb. As their meat managers have told me, "We are carrying them as a loss leader for the hispanics". Poor old white boy couldn't get em to carry em but I guess hispanics have more weight round here nowadays. Spareribs are a whole nother problem.

i can't remember if i read here, another forum, or word of mouth; but someone told me to check out my local asian market and sure enough they had full untrimmed flats for $1.78 per lb. i plan to cook one this weekend.

Back